Interested in perspectives on remaining 2018 recruits
by Bobnd80 (2017-06-24 10:23:13)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Who are the priorities, most likely, off the board, etc. among Shittu, Bey, Hauser, Muhammed, Goodwin, Locke, Finke, anyone else. I think wrapping with Hauser and Muhammed would be a top five class and a home run.

I'd like one more big. Anything else would be welcome, but
by guinness1940  (2017-06-24 20:14:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a necessity.

I go along with NDHoopsRecruits
by SB Jimbo  (2017-06-24 17:51:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'd like a 5-man class of Carmody, Hubb, Muhammad, Bey, and 1 of Shittu or Hauser. He'd eliminate Muhammad if it's a 4-man class.

I'm also not including Durham in the 2018 class, as they'll have 1 more year after he leaves. Durham's eligibility expires the same year DJ Harvey's will, so in my view that makes him part of the 2017 class.

I was wondering the same
by MrRussCrane  (2017-06-24 11:24:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would really like to see Muhammad commit but I wonder if there is not a spot for him now considering there are now 2 guards committed already.

I am very happy to see that both Ayers and Humphrey are getting off to a great start as recruiters, they certainly appear to be upgrades in that department.

Paging Taxman, Kabong or Kayo or combination thereof. *
by cbo86  (2017-06-24 16:02:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just my opinion
by Kayo  (2017-06-24 16:33:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This class needs another big man, one who will be in the program for more than a year. Hauser seems to be the primary target; and if ND can land him, I'd stop at four in the class unless Shittu wants to be part of the program for a year or two. Shittu is a special case.

If Hauser goes elsewhere, I still would prefer a big man even if it's a three star guy. With Burns, Mooney, and Durham in the program, ND won't need a guy who can play a lot in 2018-19; but there must be a pipeline at all times. If ND doesn't land another big man, there will be pressure to land at least two in next year's class. I'd hate to see another quantity over quality class (Cooley, Knight, Broghammer) just to have numbers.

I'll be happy if Muhammad is in the class; but considering the number of wings who already will be in the program for the 2018-19 season, he isn't a necessity. Having Pfleuger, Djogo, Harvey, and Carmody with Gibbs and Hubb as combo guards covers the position well; and ND seems able to get good wings every year.

Brey pretty much confirmed
by bobnd80  (2017-06-27 10:29:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that he is only looking to add two more 2018 recruits and that he is done recruiting guards and wings. (So that would mean Muhammed and Goodwin are no longer on the board for ND). He also indicated that two more bigs would be ideal and would like for them to be able to step out and shoot - so Shittu, Hauser and Bey seem like the three priorities to fill out the class. If we don't get two of them, he may look at transfers - even mid year guys that decided to transfer during Dec/Jan timeframe.

I don't see Muhammad as a wing.
by BigNDfan  (2017-06-25 16:44:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's an SG who now is spending a lot of time at PG.

He's the one remaining target I hope they land.

Bigs, wings, and ball handlers
by Kayo  (2017-06-25 21:52:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brey and many other college coaches play combinations of those three "positions." In that context, Muhammad is a wing.

Not how I see it...
by BigNDfan  (2017-06-26 11:13:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hubb can play 1 or 2
Muhammad can play 1, 2, or 3
Carmody can play 2 or 3

Muhammad is definitely a take.

It's a little "inside-basketball" but Kayo is dead right.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-06-28 08:50:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaches in the modern game don't label positions 1-5 anymore.

Let me see...
by Kayo  (2017-06-26 12:18:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How Brey thinks about players and their positions vs how you see it... I wonder which way that evaluation will go.

As I said in my original post, "I'll be happy if Muhammad is in the class; but considering the number of wings who already will be in the program for the 2018-19 season, he isn't a necessity." I'd add the word "anymore" after "necessity" with Carmody in the class and both Gibbs and Hubb able to play away from the ball as wings instead of ball handlers.

I read your original post...
by BigNDfan  (2017-06-26 19:46:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for reposting it. Naming wings in the program doesn't make Muhammad a wing. I'd love to hear from Brey where he considers him a wing.

This is also about playing time and duplication
by fbirish  (2017-06-29 14:18:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of skills within the same recruiting class.

Brey has said as much within the past week on Mike Frank's
podcast.

I'd love to hear from Brey...
by Kayo  (2017-06-26 20:03:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that he considers Muhammad primarily a ball handler. So there.

Agree on all points.
by smithwick  (2017-06-26 11:18:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Muhammad could play the three with Hubb and Carmody on the floor on at the same time, but he is much more a guard than a wing.

Ummmm
by AquinasDomer  (2017-06-26 12:01:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Carmody on the floor Muhammad is a 1 or 2. Carmody is more a wing than Muhammad

Sure.
by Smithwick  (2017-06-26 12:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The point though was that with three guards on the court, Muhammad could play wing even if he is more of a guard.

Was Grant a wing?
by AquinasDomer  (2017-06-26 13:12:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except Muhammad is going to take point when Hubb is on the bench and occasionally to free up Hubb off the ball. Muhammad would be a wing the same way Grant was.

I don't think Grant was a wing.
by smithwick  (2017-06-26 13:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He played some wing, but at the very least, he split ball handling duties with Jackson and actually averaged more assists than Jackson every season they played together.

Hubb and Muhammad are pretty similar ball players. Both are 2 guards trying to transition to being point guards although to Kayo's point above, Brey views certain guys differently.

I think he was a wing until his final season
by Kayo  (2017-06-26 15:22:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He handled the ball well and passed well, but he was a wing to Atkins' primary ball handling duties for three seasons.

Luther Muhammad is a combo
by Section12  (2017-06-25 11:57:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I'd gladly accept his commitment if he accepted. I agree we are well stocked at wings but I'd like to see 3 handling guards on the roster even if they are compressed in two classes. I also agree we need a big a development big and Shittu would be my dream.

Big men
by tb-sb  (2017-06-24 20:04:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that we need a 4/5 in this class. However Brey seems to be concentrating on the 2 Kayo mentioned. I just can't see Hauser leaving the state of Wisconsin for South bend. And I have the fear that Duke or Kansas or Kentucky will sweep in late and offer (and get) Shittu. Yes, he is a special case, (a potential one and done)as were Swanigan, Maker and Allen. Second place kills you in recruiting.

Brooks announced his 5 visits earlier this week and, since we never actually offered, we aren't on it. He's in everyone's top 100 (75 to 100 range), was very interested, and we didn't offer. Maybe Battin (or Bingham or Forrester Fitzmorris) willl wait until the late October for an offer, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I Agree we need someone in the pipeline. I would rather take a 3 star big and hold 2 spots for Muhammad, Bey and Shittu/Hauser than take a chance on no bigs in this class(Durham is in the 2017 class for all practical purposes.)

In the stories I just saw on Hauser, UW and MU get the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-06-26 13:30:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

biggest mentions. His older brother is already at Marquette.

MSU has been always in the mix
by Ajax  (2017-06-26 14:25:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And apparently he just visited there on Saturday.

I would think that any recruit who is hoping or
by Tim Kelley  (2017-06-24 23:13:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looking for a HS career of one or two years would be more attracted to one of the consistently top name schools like Duke, UNC, etc. where they could make a big splash early with a good shot at the final 4 or championship game, and where academics is not an additional pressure on player development.

If Bey keeps growing...
by AquinasDomer  (2017-06-25 07:14:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reports are Saddiq Bey is still growing... he needs to get 1 or 2 more inches to reach Hauser's height. Could he be our big?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.