Horrendously bad officiating throughout the NCAA tourney
by Duke Camaro (2017-04-04 01:14:19)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

This year had the worst officiating I can remember in a long time. Missing calls, calling way too many fouls, and taking forever on replays. Shouldn't the tournament feature the BEST officials?

Horrible officiating was the story of the tourney for me.
by DonMattingly  (2017-04-04 08:53:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Led to really sloppy games. And too many decided at the end by neither team

I agree BUT
by maverick  (2017-04-04 09:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when the players play sloppy & hammer each other are they supposed to eat their whistles or just arbitrarily enforce the rules when they feel like it. Football on the basketball court? Shooting was atrocious and that contributed to the crap game

Yes the players cannot be absolved of blame. Collins
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-04-04 10:02:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in particular seemed to pay no attention to the foul trouble he was playing in. He easily could have been called for and ones when he bumped Meeks from the side as he scored that bobbled basket and when he hit Hicks' wrist on his follow through. Instead of stubbornly insisting that the players need to learn to play with more discipline I think they should just move it up to 6 fouls so the best players are on the court more. It would also lessen the impact the shitty officiating can have on a game. If they feel as part of that change they need to go to a quarter format or the resetting of team fouls halfway through the second half as a check on the amount of free throws I'd be fine with that.

NBA allows 6 fouls in 48 minutes
by Ajax  (2017-04-04 11:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see nothing wrong with college staying at 5 in 40. I would like to go to quarter system and see fouls reset. I'd also like to see fouls reset in overtimes. If the first two fouls are non shooting, than side out. After that, two shots on all fouls.

As noted player discipline on fouls has to be part of the equation, as well as having bench options. Let's be honest the refs could possibly call twice the fouls they do. I do recall at least one of the fouls called on Collins was extremely ticky tack. It was away from the play and gave him no advantage. It seemed he stuck his arm out briefly and the UNC guy ran into it.

Different games. Here's a breakdown of the last seven
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-04-04 12:26:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

games of the tourney (Elite 8 thru final):
Avg per game- Fouls- 37.57 FGA- 122.85

Here are the averages from the 13 NBA games played over the past two days:
Fouls- 38.53 FGA- 170.9

UNC and Gonzaga are old school teams
by Ajax  (2017-04-04 17:05:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the 3 around 2 with an emphasis on going inside.

I heard today something like 1/3 of the NCAA tournament games with the most fouls involved these 2 teams.

You noted elite 8 games, well these two teams played in five of the seven.

That's why you teach foul discipline, that's why you develop a bench, that's why you consider playing zone.

You noted two of the teams in college most geared towards post offense, if not the two most. To change the foul total rules mainly because of these 2 teams is an over reaction.

not sure how to clean this up
by cujaysfan  (2017-04-04 12:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perhaps a 'foul challenge'

can only be used during media timeout so as not so disrupt game

each coach gets one a half? or one a game...

The flagrant 1 review would be a model.
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-04 12:10:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since that was a common foul that they screwed up originally and then on the replay.

The most egregious was Collins' 4th foul
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-04-04 11:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for, presumably, clearing out his man in the post. That one was referee malpractice.

Meeks also got slapped with a terrible foul trying to
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-04 12:09:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

establish position. Unfortunately Collins had three on him that I thought sucked. And I had really looked forward to seeing him and Karnowski play together, as their interior passing was fun to watch the past couple games. The Meeks contest that wasn't called had some body but was clean up top and could've gotten a post shot wrist contact later on. But when you have big physical players going against each other, I'm not a fan of that contact being called.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.