18 in ESPN's too early op 25, 80-1 shot (around 30-35th)
by athlete37 (2017-04-04 00:50:27)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

in Vegas. The ESPN poll didn't seem too knowledgeable, but you know it will have some lingering effect, and the Vegas odds had IU up near the top

Seth Davis has ND at #12 *
by combodraw  (2017-04-04 12:00:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sporting News has ND at 15 *
by mhunter123  (2017-04-04 11:25:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Parrish at CBS has us 14th, 4th in ACC
by NDLuthy  (2017-04-04 10:28:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard to argue with that assessment.

ND has been on an odd run over the past 15 or so years
by bluengold07  (2017-04-04 08:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like every time we are ranked in the preseason top-25 we have a down year. I think it's going to be tough next year unless we can bring in another (skilled) big.

Geben feels more Garrick Sherman than Jack Cooley. I hope I'm wrong.

Geben is more Ivan Kartelo than Sherman
by Ajax  (2017-04-04 17:15:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Offensive skills was not Sherman's weakness.

Also, for next season ND needs a kurz type player more than a Cooley.

I'm more worried about wings for next year
by PortND  (2017-04-04 09:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think with 5 bigs on the roster next year and enough different skill sets we will be fine at the 4 and 5 positions. My fear is without VJ, Vasty and Ryan we are really lacking on the wing.

We have very few guys who can beat someone off the dribble, Rex really needs to work on this aspect to his game as he showed zero ability to beat anyone off the bounce last year. The good news is Pat C also didn't show this till later in his career either.

With Farrell and Gibbs both projected starters next
by tf86  (2017-04-05 13:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Year, my guess is that we'll see a lot of sets with Gibbs at the point (his natural position), and Farrell playing a wing. As others have pointed out, it seems that other ACC teams began to figure out Farrell's game at the point as the season wore on. His best use next year might be primarily as an off-ball wing, moving without the ball to get an open look then getting the feed for a spot-up jumper.

I do agree that Ryan's transfer cuts heavily into our wing depth for next year, and that between Mooney, Burns, Geben and, in small doses, Torres (assuming he returns), I think we can get acceptable play from our bigs to protect Bonzie. Since Farrell essentially has a dual role next year -- I think he'll primarily be a wing but will also be the backup point -- we need Djogo, Harvey or both to develop in order to fill the hole that likely will exist at the wing.

I think it's less that they figured out his game and more
by bleedsgreen04  (2017-04-05 17:39:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that the schedule got tougher and Farrell played against better athletes. Farrell should be cut back to 25 minutes a game against the UNC's and Dukes on the schedule, unless he's really catching fire from behind the arc.

I agree we need a grad transfer, though a player that scores
by DonMattingly  (2017-04-04 08:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And can create their own shot. We need to replace the scoring of VJ and SV somehow

I'd be surprised if Brey
by Ajax  (2017-04-04 11:14:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brought in a grad transfer that was a main rotation guy let alone a starter. Brey will point to the soph numbers of Farrell and that improvement and opportunity led to his success. He feels that way about Rex and TJ. While those two will likely not match the scoring numbers of Steve and VJ, Brey believes those two plus DJ (and possibly Djogo) will. Brey also believes he will get more scoring from the 4 and 5 positions- someone will emerge.

Cam Johnson from PItt would be perfect
by PortND  (2017-04-04 09:15:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus he has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Iisted as a 6-8 guard. A good handle would provide
by Indy77  (2017-04-04 11:11:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mismatches all over the court.

As an in conference transfer would he have to sit? *
by IAIRISH  (2017-04-04 10:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dont believe so
by PortND  (2017-04-04 10:36:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He would be a grad transfer.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.