I can't seem to find a list of players in the Ring of Honor.
by milhouse (2017-03-20 22:25:57)
Edited on 2017-03-20 22:29:36
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

UND.com was woefully unhelpful, and so was Google. The phrase "Ring of Honor" does not appear in the 2016-17 Media Guide, either.

So who's in it?

Edit: I ask because in the brochure in the How Sweet It Is post, there are three numbers repeated on the wall of the gym: 15, 24, and 5. I wasn't sure if these were jersey numbers from the Ring of Honor. Are they? If not, what do they mean?

From memory, here's the list:
by chezhdchick  (2017-03-21 10:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Men: Tom Hawkins (33), Austin Carr (34), Adrian Dantley (44), David Rivers (44), Troy Murphy (3), Luke Harangody (44) and Digger Phelps.

Women: Beth Morgan Cunningham (21), Ruth Riley (00), Niele Ivey (33), Skylar Diggins (4)

Am I missing anyone?

As far as who will be next. I'm not sure. I'm curious whether Phonz will be added? Women: Katrina Gaither has to be under consideration, I would think. Lindsay Allen, eventually.

Some good suggestions below
by tf86  (2017-03-23 11:14:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A list of guys I would also give strong consideration to, not mentioned below:

Dwight Clay
Tracy Jackson
Rich Branning
Ken Barlow
Donald Royal

Rivers was 4 not 44 *
by samiller89  (2017-03-22 18:10:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard to argue against Kevin O'Shea
by JC_90_94  (2017-03-21 14:19:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First four year all American in history of ND athletics.

possibly next up, men
by D8NDomer  (2017-03-21 10:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gary Brokaw, Kelly Tripuka, Orlando

Some guys from early to mid 60's also deserving but my aged mind fails me right now. Maybe Moose Krause?

Krause has to be next
by El Kabong  (2017-03-22 07:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With all due respect to the recent vintage of players, the fact that Moose isn't up there is getting ridiculous. He's in the College Basketball Hall of Fame but not in the Ring of Honor?

George Keogan should be right there with him -- same deal, and his teams actually won two national championships.

I'm in favor of Kayo's dead-and-alive methodology. If I were king of the forest, here'd be my lineup:

Krause -- John Shumate
Keogan -- Kelly Tripucka
John Moir -- Collis Jones
Paul Nowak -- Troy Murphy
Kevin O'Shea -- Dick Rosenthal (played close together, DR could speak of KO)
Leo Klier -- Jerian Grant
Jack Stephens -- Pat Garrity

And onward after that.

Its Moose.The man just did more for ND athletics
by 84david  (2017-03-22 08:24:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than anyone in school history.

PS: Where is Jere Macura on your list? #1 in our hearts.

Only man to play 4 years at ND and make the US Olympic team.
by tb-sb  (2017-03-22 08:15:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...should be on that list too, and near the top.

Bill Hanzlik

Hanz does have a special place in ND history
by KHADDAFI  (2017-03-22 08:22:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The tough argument will be about stats. When he was drafted, he was the only 1st round selection in NBA draft history who had not averaged > 10 ppg.

If you watched closely or played against him, he was the toughest SOB you could possibly compete against. He could guard anyone at any position.

One of his teammates once said (paraphrasing), "Hanz will never score or rebound in double figures, but he'll play for 10 years in the NBA because he defends like nobody else can or is willing to."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Great, uniquely gifted player.

Good list . . .
by KHADDAFI  (2017-03-22 08:08:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rank Tripucka ahead of Shumate (as a competitor, he'd hate that).

I'd also rank Jerian ahead of Murph.

I also think, as a practical matter, those with more recent memories (and, perhaps, the power to decide) will rank Pat Garrity ahead of Collis Jones. As terrific a player as Collis Jones was, his performance is in many ways greatly overshadowed by Austin Carr, the lack of TV/video coverage, and the passage of time.

I put Shumate first because he's older
by El Kabong  (2017-03-22 08:12:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Murph was a two-time Consensus AA and a two-time BE POY. Grant was only a CAA once, and while his 2015 season was outstanding, if it weren't for that season, he wouldn't be on this list.

Shumate, Garrity, Paxson, Grant, Connaughton
by Kayo  (2017-03-21 14:30:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm very much in favor of inducting two every year for a while, one living, one passed away. Have both inductions the same day.

As others have suggested, use media timeouts for introductions and highlights. Drop the curtains at halftime, and let the appropriate people speak - Deceased player's family member with 30 - 60 seconds and plenty of time for the living player to speak.

The Phonz - long overdue!! *
by KOOLINSC  (2017-03-21 21:56:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's Colson's projected 2017-18 stat line (Reb, Pts, Blocks) *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2017-03-21 09:26:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that is so much better than
by ksqdomer  (2017-03-21 09:45:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

turn overs, chest pounds, and fouls

They could just be random numbers for the rendering
by NDoggie78  (2017-03-21 08:39:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The architect/ designer may know nothing about Notre Dame basketball and just put his/her kid's numbers in a shamrock

That's my guess. Jersey numbers of the Ring are probably
by tdiddy07  (2017-03-21 09:40:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mocked to go in that spot.

I don't think it's jerseys.
by SavageDragon  (2017-03-21 00:59:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's no apparent jersey number meaning. No 34, so clearly not hall of famers. And no 44, so not even limiting things to the Brey era.

Dwight Clay is a good historical moment and Inglesby is on the staff now, but I can't come up with a good bind as far as jerseys go.

(a decade out-dated historical numerical roster linked below)

Guesses
by chsfb75  (2017-03-20 22:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

24 - Connaughton
5 - Farrell
15 - Jere Macura, Lindsey Allen

It's just criminal that Macura has not had his Banner raised
by chezhdchick  (2017-03-21 10:08:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In LaFortune's food court. :)

Shame he didn't play more
by Chsfb75  (2017-03-21 10:19:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could have been an All BE team member.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.