Allow me to gloat
by Taxman (2017-03-20 12:30:17)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Since I am mostly full of shit, I do want to take a victory lap on the rare occasion I get one right. I posted the following last Tuesday:

Every time I watch one of those NFL Films shows about each Super Bowl champion, I am always struck by how the old-timers describing a particular game will talk about how they kicked so-and-so's ass in that game. Beat 'em to a pulp. Crushed their will. Had 'em all the way. Then they show the final score of the game involved and invariably it is something like 21-17. And my reaction is "what the fu...?!"

The point is winners get to set the narrative. Duke won the ACCT, so they get to set the narrative. Gutsy come-from-behind performances reflecting an indomitable will to win. Freshman stars coming of age. The grit and fortitude to grind out four game in four days. Everyone's preseason number 1 finally fulfilling expectations.

Those paying close attention saw something different. They saw a lot of dumbass luck. Beating UL down 12 pretty late. Overtaking Carolina due mostly to Joel Berry getting his fourth foul AT THE 15 MINUTE MARK. And Roy keeping him on the bench for 10 minutes (seriously, this guy's in the Hall of Fame?). Carolina essentially handed Duke the win. Almost like they preferred being able to rest Saturday. And then ND going up 8, having probably a half dozen wide open looks from three and missing every damned one of them.

Duke might make a deep run, but I'm not buying the hype. It would have been no shame for them to have lost any of the last three games, but to suggest that winning all three signifies some magical transformation to NCAA championship favorite is...shall we say... a stretch. They just had a three game run of unimaginable luck. Let's see if that continues.

The two best times to gloat about being right
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-20 17:34:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are when ND wins and Duke loses. I'd have preferred the former but will gladly take the latter.

Duke, Kentucky, Michigan...order of preference? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-20 18:17:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Throw North Carolina in there, and
by tf86  (2017-03-23 11:09:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm rooting for the Final Four venue to be hit by a tsunami. With all people involved making it out safely, of course.

i would give you more credit if you had not indicated
by OCdomer78  (2017-03-20 15:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that you expected VJ to have a big tournament, or something to that effect.

In baseball, .500 would have me in the Hall of Fame *
by Taxman  (2017-03-20 16:04:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The press has such a desire to crown the latest flavor
by cbo86  (2017-03-20 14:12:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the week instead of actual in depth analysis that it is unbearable to watch much of their expert "analysis". I stick to Taxman, Kabong and Kayo for the most part and I find I am more prepared to watch the Irish and others intelligently.

I'd like to also congratulate myself for knowing that SMU
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-03-20 13:16:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would be going to the Elite Eight from the bottom half of the East bracket.

Taxman's argument swayed me, but I also then picked SMU *
by irishmitten  (2017-03-20 14:13:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes sir
by PortND  (2017-03-20 13:03:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It drove me nuts too before the ACC Championship game when like you said the narrative was Duke was coming together and finally healthy and playing their best ball when reality was they squeaked by Clemson and then UL gave them the game etc.

ND in one less tournament game pretty much dominated from start to finish the UVA and FSU games yet no similar talk of how ND was coming together or playing there best ball.

Which ND coming together seems a bit of fools gold as well
by OITLinebacker  (2017-03-20 14:13:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or at least it seems that way in hindsight. Something happened when ND started going cold in the Duke game in the finals and they didn't get that grove back. I had really hoped that they'd find that grove and ride it a Final Four and finally break through.

I agreed with you then and still picked Duke to win it all
by Kayo  (2017-03-20 13:02:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Picking game by game, I thought they had the best chance to win each time.

It has been a long time since Duke was an outstanding defensive program, but I didn't envision anyone hitting its defense with 65 points in a half. Olé!

why didnt you do a bracket?
by DBCooper  (2017-03-20 12:53:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just curious

I participate in a calcutta-type pool
by Taxman  (2017-03-20 13:32:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for money. That's enough fun for me.

You should join the NDN one next year
by domerdan_2006  (2017-03-20 15:56:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had a good turnout this year

Is gambling involved? *
by Taxman  (2017-03-20 16:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you get a virtual high-five from El K (maybe copy of
by Stonebreaker9  (2017-03-20 17:14:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His book) and the chance to say you beat IrishAlbany's edited picks.

There is no money involved.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.