I'm enjoying watching rat face and his crybabies go down *
by TAR (2017-03-19 23:08:04)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Funny thing at the Milwaukee games
by Doggie  (2017-03-20 10:53:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During the numerous fan cam playings, whenever they showed someone wearing a Duke shirt, the crowd loudly booed. The only other team fans that got booed at all were Iowa and Michigan St. which made sense given the Big 10 rivalries.

During one game, the folks running that board kept coming back to a 12 year old wearing a Duke jersey and he took it in good stride.

When boeheim retires, I'm transferring the exception to K *
by Ndwahoo  (2017-03-20 06:26:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I already have *
by spade  (2017-03-20 18:08:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still not as sweet as seeing Rick "15 seconds" Pitino lose..
by JACC1203  (2017-03-20 03:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...even if it meant scUM getting to the Sweet 16.

Agree!
by irishintheville  (2017-03-20 16:14:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it's a close call.

Tough call. Double edged sword.
by chezhdchick  (2017-03-20 10:16:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan fans are especially obnoxious right now since ND and MSU both lost. It's like they just remembered that they have a basketball program. I'm going to start asking them to name a person on the team (not that I would know or care whether they're right or not).

And now the SEC fans are also crowing about the ACC being down to one.

First time coach K Duke team has given up 65 pts in a half.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-19 23:42:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

87% of ESPN Tournament Challenge brackets had Duke in the Sweet 16.
5% of brackets had South Carolina in the Sweet 16.

That team had so much talent.
by GreenManorite  (2017-03-19 23:28:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is amazing how little Coach K did with so much. I would really be interested to see what Coach Brey would do with that team.

The legacy left by Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles
by LateNiteNaugles  (2017-03-19 23:22:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and the impact they made in their 9 months practicing and playing in Cameron Indoor Stadium will never be forgotten by proud Duke University alumni the world over. The pride those folks must feel in watching those young men wear their Duke colors for an entire winter (not to mention a small portion of the preceding fall) will never leave them.

Postscript--I'm not knocking Tatum or Giles. They are talented players and seem like fine kids who are just playing the game by the rules established by the king makers. I am, however, mocking the rat-faced hypocrite sellout "educator" who sold his one-and-done soul for first round knockouts to Mercer and Lehigh and a second round knockout to South Carolina.

Have some cheese, rat.

Small Nit: I've added the necessary information
by ndbrian  (2017-03-20 10:15:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the impact they made in their 9 months (MINUS ONE WEEK WHEN K WOULDN'T LET THEM WEAR THEIR DUKE UNIFORMS OR COME INTO THE LOCKER ROOM TO SHOW THEM THEY NEEDED TO PLAY HARDER) practicing and playing in Cameron Indoor Stadium will never be forgotten by proud Duke University alumni the world over

Good catch...how could I forget that? *
by LateNiteNaugles  (2017-03-20 11:25:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure what made me laugh more.... Your post or
by Hog84  (2017-03-20 09:55:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your handle. Brings back memories of running to Naugles for some "food" before heading over to a buddy's house to watch America's Cup from Down Under in 1987.

Smart and necessary move going to a friend's house
by LateNiteNaugles  (2017-03-20 11:24:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and not fouling up your own crib after a Naugles run.

"I would like a macho combo burritto, wet, please." *
by gradyfan  (2017-03-20 10:36:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love Allen sticking his hand up to get credit for the basket *
by TripleDomer  (2017-03-19 23:13:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha! I saw that too. Freaking idiot. *
by JoyceSouthGater  (2017-03-20 08:53:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duke feels entitled to getting a turnover.
by IrishGeek  (2017-03-19 23:11:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're incredulous when a foul is called on the press.

I find Frank Martin just as distasteful. Perhaps more. *
by ndroman21  (2017-03-19 23:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Martin's on-court antics are tiresome.
by MobileIrish  (2017-03-19 23:20:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He just looks like a prick.

Nothing is more tiresome than Duke.
by Naughman  (2017-03-19 23:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. At least for a night.

Of course. K is the new Boeheim exception. *
by MobileIrish  (2017-03-19 23:27:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meh, I don't share the board hatred for Duke and K. *
by ndroman21  (2017-03-19 23:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do, and for me it boils down to four things
by tf86  (2017-03-23 11:26:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Long-term success (credit where it's due, after all, who wants to hate on a perennial loser?).

2. They have a large cheering section among the national media, which doesn't even try particularly hard to hide it.

3. They get the benefit of the doubt from game officials, and take advantage of that with numerous defensive flops and overly aggressive play.

4. Their program is not nearly as squeaky-clean as they want you to believe it is.

Thing is, North Carolina checks EVERY SINGLE ONE of those boxes as well, yet they somehow escape the universal hatred thing. I'm at a loss as to explain why.

His smarmy holier than thou crap gets old quickly.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-03-20 09:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like publicly reprimanding an opposing team for celebrating an upset.

I don't really mind the one-and-done thing. That's the current rule, and ND would take them too if they'd commit.

This is true, but likely not a criticism ND fans should make
by ndroman21  (2017-03-20 10:47:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just saying.

With all due respect, I don't get that.
by Naughman  (2017-03-19 23:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are a direct affront to everything that Brey and ND stand for, pretenders in every sense of the word.

I wonder how Jayson Tatum's spring semester schedule is shaping up. I'll bet whatever it is would be news to him.

Duke's most recent basketball APR score is higher than ND's
by Kayo  (2017-03-20 00:07:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Academic Progress Rate (APR) is the measurement that the NCAA instituted about 10 years ago to hold schools accountable for educating their athletes for whatever time they are in school. It's the stat that made UConn ineligible for the 2013 postseason and unable to defend its 2012 championship.

APR measures term-to-term academic progress, so an athlete who ignores the second semester knowing he will enter the draft will do serious damage to his program's score. The days of taking the no-show 0.0 GPA ended with the implementation of APR.

The most recent APR reporting year is 2015. Duke's score was 995. Notre Dame's was 974. People in glass houses...

Stats like this can always be juked.
by Naughman  (2017-03-21 09:23:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same goes for graduation rates. UNC is trumpeted as an outstanding academic institution, and yet they created an entire department out of thin air that fraudulently credited thousands of students, many athletes included, over the course of nearly two decades. Most schools, even the very good ones, struggle at striking a balance between athletic and academic excellence.

974 is an outstanding score (it had been a perfect 1000 just a couple years ago), and I suspect that we came by it honestly based on how we address our malfeasances. I have no idea how Duke arrives at theirs, other than the fact that basketball is the tail that wags the dog in Durham.

Any evidence that Duke's score is inaccurate?
by Kayo  (2017-03-21 09:55:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You indicated that their one and done players don't go to spring semester classes. The APR scores say otherwise.

Put up or (be quiet).

If you believe the stat. One and dones should
by 84david  (2017-03-21 08:10:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

count as non-graduates.

Thank you. Saved me the time.
by ndroman21  (2017-03-20 00:22:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taking one and dones doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't educating them. Frankly, most of the one and dones who have played at Duke seem to be pretty solid kids. There's only a handful of Duke players who I wouldn't want at ND (Grayson Allen).

I don't think K likes the one and done concept himself. His greatest teams were made up of 3 and 4 year players. But he needs the talent to compete. I think he tries to make them better while he has them. I also think he's a far better person than most here want to believe.

I've told this story before, but when I was 9, my 12 year old brother was a huge Duke fan. Being 9, and worshipping my brother, I made him a basketball certificate on our Apple IIe that purported to be from Duke and Coach K. My mom found it and sent it to Duke. K personally signed it, added a handwritten note, and enclosed it with an autographed picture of the 1991 Duke team.

I don't love Duke, but I respect Coach K, and I dont think they're the program this board wishes they were.

As someone with grad at Duke and friends that worked with K
by domerdan_2006  (2017-03-20 12:55:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand the board's obsession with it either. By all accounts, K is demanding, can be an asshole (several do not forgive him for how he "went public" to get what he wanted with the Lakers saga) and (understandably) difficult to get to know on a personal level, but very generous with his time and generally speaking, does the right thing.

One thing everyone agrees on there is how proud they are of the program itself and the majority of the students/people it produces. Like ndroman mentioned, there are occasional d-bags, but ND has those guys too.

He spoke to our class and is also a fantastic public speaker.

On the other hand, I work with someone who
by 84david  (2017-03-21 08:11:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knew a recent one-and-doner from his dorm.that absolutely quit going to class at the end of the first semester.

Agreed. And re: Jayson Tatum
by garbageplate  (2017-03-20 09:03:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he had wanted to come to ND, I am certain we would have accepted him with open arms.

Do you feel the same way about 1-&-dones at UK? *
by civil_engr05  (2017-03-20 08:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cal does it a little differently
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-03-20 09:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He takes full 5 player one and done classes and then shuffles any guys who wish to stay more than 2 years out the door. Kentucky is more akin to Alabama football in that regard.

I don't think that was his choice
by civil_engr05  (2017-03-20 10:13:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's been several kids leave who he wanted to stay. His problem is the perception that if you don't succeed as a freshman year, you are a failure. It's used against him in recruiting and it has affected the mindset of some of the kids. He didn't want Kyle Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Charles Matthews, etc. to leave.

Now, I do think Calipari is harder on kids who aren't freshman. They don't meet his expectations and he is gets a quick trigger with them.

Agree. But it does appear U.K. is getting kids to class...
by ndroman21  (2017-03-20 09:37:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...unless there are some UNC shenanigans going on. Their APR is also respectable (surprisingly)

I don't like the entire one and done concept, but the coaches didn't set up the rules. They're just playing by them. Cal, though, takes it to the extreme.

I find Cal more distasteful for his history at UMass and Memphis. K had been largely clean for nearly 3 decades.

Much better than the days of jumping from HS to the NBA
by PWK2  (2017-03-20 18:19:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My Timberwolves had the joy of watching Ndudi Ebi "develop". And now we know (kinda) that Harry Giles can't play. He would have been taken #1 under the old system.

I agree w/ ya, btw.
by civil_engr05  (2017-03-20 10:18:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As someone who was skeptical of Cal when he went to UK, i've been very surprised with how it's played out. There's only been 1 kid who didn't finish the spring semester (Daniel Orton). Other than that, the majority of the kids have classy individuals who have represented UK well while here and after leaving. Now, i'm not gullible enough to think the other kids are taking hard classes. There's probably some online courses mixed in with some other easy classes. But they aren't leaving once the season is over and they've maintained a relationship with the university after they've left.

I hate the flopping and the constant crying over calls. *
by IrishGeek  (2017-03-20 00:29:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every coach works the refs.
by ndroman21  (2017-03-20 00:32:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And no one here had a problem with Harangody's flopping or Colin Falls creating contact on threes.

We see what we choose to see.

Not worried about him. SC won't last. And Duke is done *
by TAR  (2017-03-19 23:12:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kennard fouling out on a flop was a treat. *
by yodadame  (2017-03-19 23:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was the play that inspired my post *
by TAR  (2017-03-19 23:10:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would not want to have the ball when Allen has to foul. *
by TripleDomer  (2017-03-19 23:09:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully they all put their cups in at the last TO *
by TAR  (2017-03-19 23:11:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.