How much would it suck to root for a team like UL
by Taxman (2017-03-19 14:11:45)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

and watch as your players consistently refuse to do what the coach says.

No kidding
by Kayo  (2017-03-19 14:15:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Move. Set screens. Stop taking stupid shots... Followed by no movement, no screens, and a stupid shot that misses by a lot.

Louisville wins by sending waves of athletes at its opponents. The program is based almost entirely on recruiting with a very small percentage of coaching.

I am not sure about that.
by WilfordBrimley  (2017-03-19 22:50:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is, at best, a mediocre in-game tactician and a middling coach of offensive basketball, but he is among the very best in the history of college basketball when it comes to overall player development.

In some ways, he is Brey's mirror: he places such a premium on defensive ability that the other side of the ball suffers long droughts of high-level productivity with a fair bit of consistency. He sat a (tremendously athletic - much moreso than the guys ahead of him) 5-star McDonald's All-American freshman pretty much all year because the kid couldn't pick up the zone defense - Louisville's only McDonald's All-American currently on the roster.

Louisville recruits well, but they're not a recruiting powerhouse pulling in McDonald's All-Americans year after year after year like Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/UNC/UCLA/Arizona, and they don't pull in a boat of NBA-level talent. He only has three players on active NBA rosters right now, and none of those guys are high-level pro players.

I think you're off base
by irish2705  (2017-03-19 14:51:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pitino certainly is no offensive coach, but his defenses are routinely in the top 5 in the country. It helps to have length, but his schemes are what make the matchup zone so tough to attack. So while I wouldn't turn to Pitino for a late game offensive play, to say he doesn't coach really shortchanges the impact he has on defense.

While true, his teams feature length and depth, he also develops a bunch of players in his system: Williams, Muhammad, Smith, etc.

I think your response only reinforces Kayo's comment.
by chicos bail bonds  (2017-03-19 18:25:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pitino's scrambling defense is based on quickness, length, and guys with athleticism. There isn't a whole lot of orchestrated basketball skill in my opinion. I used to have a little more respect for their program but it has completely eroded in the past few years.

Great defense is a lot more than athleticism.
by Tdiddy07  (2017-03-19 21:25:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pitino gets a lot of effort out of his guys. The best defensive teams in the country are almost always among the best coached in fundamentals. Just like offense it requires great footwork, understanding spacing, quick judgments and reacting off the ball. Except it requires doing it on the constant move.

Your 2d para. also applies to another program in their...
by Scoop80  (2017-03-19 14:36:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

state

To his credit
by Taxman  (2017-03-19 14:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pitino can coach defense.

Around these parts Pitino usually does whatever he wants. *
by ProV1x  (2017-03-19 16:45:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.