On the five out offense
by UpperEastSideIrish (2017-02-12 13:27:16)

In reply to:  posted by

it seemed to me last night that this is the way we neutralize our disadvantage from a size perspective. What allowed us so many layups last night was the fact that the middle wasn't clogged up. It takes the opponents big man / shot blocking capabilities away, to the point where they might even need to go smaller to match us when we play as well as we did last evening offensively.

It was clear to me from the lineup changes over the last few games that Brey realized we needed something different to give the offense a kick in the backside. I think spreading people out, allowing MF and SV to create, getting Bonzi rolling to the hoop on pick and rolls and letting VJ take a defender away by staying at the 3 point line gives us the best chance to play the way we want to. We get to the FT line, cause the other team to have to work on defense and can command the way the game is played. It also allows us to put Rex on one of their best perimeter scorers, giving Vasturia a bit of a break, and it gives Gibbs an opportunity to handle the ball a little bit, giving Farrell a break and allowing him to think score a bit more.

All and all, I agree that we're going to see the core 4, plus Rex and Gibbs for 90% of the minutes. We'll mix in the big guys and go 2-3 every now and again to mix it up and take the other team out of their flow.

Credit Mike Brey for the game plan last night. I think it worked to perfection and we'll need it to get big wins as the NCAA comes.