Should golf be finished as Olympic sport?
by SixShutouts66 (2016-07-25 21:14:15)

I realize that the threat of the Zika virus has been the reason that many of the top ten male golfers have withdrawn from the Olympics. I have to believe that loss of potential big paydays and disruption of their schedules also played a role in their decisions.

Given their collective snub of the Olympics, what are the chances golf survives as an Olympic sport past 2020?

The format sucks
by TCFC  (2016-08-03 15:28:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand why they couldn't have tried to make it a team event, rather than individual stroke play.

So if I'm in 20th place at a normal Tour event, I know I can shoot 65 on Sunday and jump up the leaderboard. I probably won't win, but I get a pretty good paycheck.

In the Olympics, they're basically only "paying out" three spots. Anyone outside the top-10 probably has no chance at a medal.

A team match play format would have been much more enjoyable.

This is where I'm headed
by DakotaDomer  (2016-08-03 17:07:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think golf should be an olympic sport because it's a truly international sport that doesn't rely on judging....
+1

But I think a team event would make it more country relevant. THere are so many choices for making the Olympics unique and fun but instead they just set it up like a PGA Championship. There's plenty of invite only golf tournaments already.

A team event could exist alongside or in addition to an individual event easily.
They also could consider only inviting amateurs
They also could only invite x number from y number of countries and no one else...you want in you have to qualify based on your national olympic committee's standards and not based on your world ranking

They didn't do any of that...which I think was the real mistake...golf = good...same golf we got 2 weeks before = bad

Tennis should also be a team event *
by Btd  (2016-08-20 12:45:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The US would dominate
by Smokin_Clover  (2016-08-06 00:20:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why it's not a team event.

There are plenty of countries that could compete
by Brandon  (2016-08-15 12:38:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially if each country was limited to 3 or 4 players. A few in particular that come to mind for future are Australia, South Africa, Great Britain, Sweden, Spain. There are a LOT of great international players in golf and there's no reason why a team event couldn't be easily integrated into what they had this year.

Watch the Ryder Cup lately? *
by TCFC  (2016-08-06 08:16:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Olympics doesn't allow entire continents to group up *
by SavageDragon  (2016-08-06 10:39:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They need to in order to make the following sports better
by DakotaDomer  (2016-08-08 13:50:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Women's Gymnastics

Probably some others that we don't dominate like Table Tennis

The fact that the USA would probably win a team gold medal in golf is no reason not to have the event. There's several team events that are more one-sided.

Team North America would be one hellacious hockey team. *
by Fuzzy Patters  (2016-08-09 21:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't they do North America vs Europe for NHL all-star?
by DakotaDomer  (2016-08-10 12:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember I had those teams on my NHL99 video game

Of course they don't
by TCFC  (2016-08-06 13:04:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My point was that American golfers haven't exactly excelled in team match play formats as of late.

The European teams may not be as strong when they're divided up by country, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the US would dominate a team format.

Perhaps, but, when the Ryder was USA vs. UK, the
by rick  (2016-08-06 22:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

matches became so one-sided that the format was changed.

I doubt that
by DakotaDomer  (2016-08-06 07:38:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depending on the size of the team (I'd advocate for fewer than the big team events in golf) several countries could field top talent and battle it out for 1 medal each.

If 3 Americans win the only 3 medals being awarded that won't go over well.

Hell, it's a watered down PGA Championship
by TCFC  (2016-08-04 09:24:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fact that the US could only have 4 players automatically makes the field weaker.

Why not run it like a college event? Have 5 players from each country and have them play a 54-hole stroke play qualifier. You can give out medals to the top-3 individuals in stroke play and then have the top 4 or 8 teams make match play and give out team gold.

It'd be a ton of fun.

Hopefully none.
by FtWorthIrish  (2016-07-27 12:57:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't need to be an Olympic sport.

Scheduling sucks
by NDoggie78  (2016-07-26 11:42:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because of the Olympics, two of the majors - British Open and PGA had to be compressed to within 3 weeks. After the Olympics, the Ryder Cup starts at the end of September. That's cramming a lot of majors and major events into a very tight schedule.

Add the cost for building a new golf course. Then you add the arbitrary cut-off date for determining the teams - right before the British Open instead of after it - where a guy like Mickelson would have made the team and wanted to go - and it appears, like usual, the IOC has their head up their ass.

I won't even get into what I think about the IOC and how they are a corrupt body completely ruining the Olympics

So

Will they decide on it before 2020 olympics happens?
by DakotaDomer  (2016-07-26 11:28:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so then it's in danger. If not, then it will depend much more on how 2020 goes than how this complete clusterfuck of an olympics goes.

One thing golf has going for it is a LOT of tv content for the most attractive tv audiences.

Yes, the vote to keep it in the Olympics is before the 2020
by NumberOneMoses  (2016-07-31 19:17:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

games.