Field Hockey
by irpa (2015-03-20 10:47:40)

I recently heard discussion that ND may be considering starting a Field Hockey program. Has anyone heard anything in this regard? Thanks

The ACC is a meat grinder - 5 of Top 10; all 7 in Top 15.
by hoomanbeing  (2015-04-14 13:28:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just like lacrosse is for both the men and women.

Here is what I have heard
by JJCIrish  (2015-03-20 14:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Women's Ice Hockey and Men's Crew were the next 2 on the list about year or two ago. I had contacted a couple of individuals in Athletic Dept. and development office who gave me this answer. I am an Alum who has a daughter who graduates this coming May. My daughter plays for one of top club programs in the country. I can assure you the minute ND starts a FH program they will be in the top 10. I can name at last 5 of the top 20 players in this year's senior class who would LOVE to play FH at ND!

I will keep pushing!

We have probably crossed paths.
by irpa  (2015-03-21 08:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My daughter plays for 1 of the top programs as well. She is a Freshman however. I agree regarding ND and becoming a top 10 program. Thanks

They have a good women's ice hockey program at
by G.K.Chesterton  (2015-03-20 14:45:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin but I just don't get the attraction. I would rather watch field hockey any day.

Disclaimer: my wife played FH in high school and two years in college.

Hey, my sister helped get that program ...
by Rocksteady74  (2015-06-06 00:52:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… going. She played there in the late 70s/early 80s. Don't insult girls who like to hit. It just isn't, well, safe.

Would you want to run around in a skirt in Madison in Nov.? *
by Irish Tool  (2015-03-21 21:43:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

might be safer than in july *
by dbcsmith  (2015-04-08 14:57:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Field Hockey was one of our original women's sports.
by SavageDragon  (2015-03-20 13:30:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would've guessed that a women's hockey program would've happened first (because of extant facilities), but those are both solid choices for athletic expansion for women (which is required if ND is ever going to add another men's sport, e.g. volleyball or wrestling).

There are field hockey facilities already too
by NDoggie78  (2015-03-21 16:24:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The lacrosse field is lined for the women's field hockey club too

Wrong kind of turf.
by vitadulcedospes  (2015-04-06 20:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The top flight field hockey programs all have the old school short astroturf.

Thought Arlotta was lined for field hockey
by NDoggie78  (2015-04-07 17:18:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that may just be for women's lax - longer field. Definitely another set of lines

That's women's lacrosse. *
by vitadulcedospes  (2015-04-12 21:55:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. *
by SavageDragon  (2015-03-21 18:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was varsity status from 1978-1987.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2015-03-20 14:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still recall that someone named Winnie (Winifred) was on the team back in the day. It fit the prep school image to a T.

Winifred Fitzgerald
by shillelagh  (2015-03-20 16:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She now lives in Madagascar.

Here she is on a panel at Notre Dame several years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZeaJJxpIAw

She was a classmate of mine
by Son of Galway  (2015-03-20 19:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would not describe her as preppy. I thought she was a serious student and a serious person. I would not denigrate her with the word preppy.

Point granted. It was a shallow impression. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2015-03-22 02:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post