Univision has a different angle on the Edu non-penalty
by Mr Wednesday (2013-03-27 14:23:13)
Edited on 2013-03-27 14:41:40
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Olympic ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The non-call makes more sense, as what foul there was didn't happen until the ball was already away.

Despite that, I think it would have been a foul (and possibly a yellow card) at midfield, because Edu did get him pretty hard after the ball was out.

Interesting thought
by ANNTOSTAL  (2013-03-27 17:49:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At midfield, the lateness of the contact would increase the severity of the call, increasing the likelihood of a caution, on account of the "reckless" nature of late contact.

You suggest it might work the other way in the penalty area. I understand the impulse of not awarding a penalty kick for contact that arguably did not affect the path of the ball. But, for me, at least, that's a straight penalty every time, and I'd consider a caution for the lateness of the contact and potential for injury arising from the angle of the contact.

I've yet to talk to a practicing referee who would not have awarded a penalty kick.

Some folks on the BigSoccer ref forum...
by Mr Wednesday  (2013-03-27 21:26:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are speculating that Aquino didn't get the penalty because he oversold the contact. He looked like he was diving, so the ref concluded that he was diving.

The NYT Soccer blogger ...
by ANNTOSTAL  (2013-03-27 21:40:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... suggested, like you, that the lateness of the contact affected the call. Less plausibly, I think, he also thought that Aquino was already going down and that the contact was only slight.

Credit to Salcido from Mexico for not making excuses.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-03-27 14:51:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“The officials make two or three mistakes and as a soccer players we also make mistakes and nothing happens,” the Tigres man told the press after the game. “If you have plays at goal and you put the ball in (the net), you don’t need to be complaining about the referee.”

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.