Can someone breakdown the composition of our team?
by NavyJoe (2013-03-27 09:30:42)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Olympic ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I have not been following the team as closely as I usually do, so I was surprised to hear the commentators say that the team we put on the field last night was only a 65% solution. Was that in reference to injured players or to players who have chosen not to participate in national play at this time?

Couple Questions:

1. Where the hell is Donovan?
2. Who is expected to play defense going forward? Is it fair to say that the remaining games will be a de facto tryout for the players involved?
3. Is Twellman really the best guy we can put out there to announce? His commentary is about as cogent as a Ke$ha song and makes Lalas come across as Demosthenes.

Also: are Cherundolo and Bocagnegra done for? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-03-28 01:07:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Boca, yes or close. Dolo is hurt, I think.
by Mr Wednesday  (2013-03-28 02:06:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which may be a sign of age in and of itself, but I think he still appears to have enough left in the tank to be helpful.

What I do know is the USMNT is starting to develop
by steelhop  (2013-03-27 14:06:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more depth. 10 years ago, if the USMNT's was missing 6-9 typical starters, they would have been white-washed 3-0. Last night's game wasn't pretty but demonstrates the program has greater depth and doesn't always needs its "stars" to be there.

Indeed. Actually, that's an interesting matchup:
by SavageDragon  (2013-03-28 10:22:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the starting xi from the other night versus this starting xi of players who were hurt or unavailable:

howard
cherundolo goodson spector
f.johnson chandler
jones torres holden
donovan agudelo

... If we call a squad who managed a draw at Azteca "credible", I don't think I can ever recall a time when the USMNT could list two credible full squads.

Holden
by Irish 01  (2013-03-30 06:03:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just read that he was loaned from Bolton, which I assume is to get him more time before coming into complete form. Do you expect him to climb back into the USMNT? He looked like a promising player before the injury(s).

I'm going to assume he won't come back.
by Mr Wednesday  (2013-03-31 00:11:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then I can be pleasantly surprised if he does pull it off.

Donovan has been on a long hiatus from pro and
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-03-27 13:15:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

international soccer, as noted below. He is coming back to the Galaxy this week. His role on the US soccer team remains unknown at the moment.

Dual citizenship...
by iudomer  (2013-03-27 11:30:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we need more Mexican Americans playing.

I do remember a knock on Germany here about the influx of foreign sounding names on their roster...Boateng/Ozil/Khedira. Sounds like Gomez/Corona/Gonzales for USMNT.

I'm not sure Gomez supplied much last night. *
by NDBass  (2013-03-27 12:53:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no clue. I'm not sure JK does, either.
by NDBass  (2013-03-27 09:52:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 65% comment was because of injuries, but we might've found more permanent pieces. A lot to watch moving forward.

1) On sabbatical from soccer. Club and international.
2) I'm not sure on ther defense, but I suspect we'll see more of Gonzalez and Besler. I think they'll get a chance to prove this was more than a one game performance. I have no clue what is happening on the outside. I think Fabian Johnson has one side, but I'm not so sure anymore. Chandler showed little against Costa Rica. That whole soap opera might've been for naught. We'll see.
3) Probably, based on ESPN wants to do with the broadcasts. I wonder if the latest round of league/cup broadcast negotiations played a role going forward. I think it was even worse with that guy they added last night, Alejandro something-or-the-other. Trying to show impartiality isn't worth putting together a crap broadcast team.

The new guy they added last night ...
by SavageDragon  (2013-03-27 10:28:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is the lead commentator for their new Liga MX coverage. Perhaps he does a better job as the top banana?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.