No more Edu in the future, please?
by Xaeryne (2013-03-27 00:26:10)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Olympic ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Terrible turnovers, the should-have-been-a-PK....

Can't they figure out a way to get Alonso freed from his Cuban cap-tie?

Does Cuba typically denationalize defectors?
by SavageDragon  (2013-03-27 00:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that's about the only way. But particularly considering that it would benefit another CONCACAF team (and even worse, the USA), means that I wouldn't expect them to strip his citizenship any time soon.

Supposedly, FIFA has been petitioned.
by Mr Wednesday  (2013-03-27 01:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The statutes at least arguably contemplate the possibility. Who knows whether FIFA wants to wade into that political morass, though?

It's bizarre that he came a US citizen ten months ago
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-03-27 13:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and still cannot play for the US. It almost sounds like the NCAA committee that handles the sixth year of eligibility requests.

Bizarre in what way?
by Mr Wednesday  (2013-03-27 14:27:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As an example, Shalrie Joseph is a U.S. citizen who will never be able to play for the U.S. because he accepted a cap while he was in college. FIFA's almost-iron-clad rule is that if you play an "official" senior match (meaning a competition match, not a friendly), you're tied to that country, and if you play an "official" junior-level match, you're only allowed to switch once and only to another country you were eligible for at the time of the first junior appearance.

It would be more unusual for Alonso to be cleared to play for us, and if it happens, it will be entirely due to Cuba basically making him persona non grata for leaving Cuba. There really isn't a whole lot in the way of precedent for this situation, even though (as I noted previously) the FIFA statutes do appear to contemplate the idea.

I was not aware FIFA had those "transfer" restrictions. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-04-02 16:23:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Talk about a secret conclave... *
by thersh  (2013-03-27 13:43:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.