Irish women lead 1-o at Florida at end of H1 * * *
by nd740305 (2012-11-18 13:21:45)
Edited on 2012-11-18 13:58:45
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Olympic ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Thankfully, it looks like last year was just an aberration.
by Tex Francisco  (2012-11-18 15:08:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's hard to imagine ND not being a fixture at the college cup for the next several years.

I hate to be selfish
by saltwaterfarm  (2012-11-18 16:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Waldrum was thought to be in line for the Womens natinal team coach for which he would have had to give up the ND job. I am very happy that he is at ND. I think he is the best coach in women's college soccer. Yeah even better than Anson. There are 4-5 teams out there that recruit better than ND but none have the record.

My opinion

Chris Petrucelli leaving for Texas when he did, in hindsight
by Tex Francisco  (2012-11-18 16:26:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was the best thing that could have ever happened to this program.

He's neck-and-neck with Dorrance since ca. 2000.
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-11-18 16:22:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the score of championships in that period is something like 3 - 2 in favor of UNC, and ND has at least as many semifinal appearances. I'm not sure what the head-to-head record is, but my sense is that Waldrum has given as good as he's gotten when the teams have played in the NCAA tournament.

And he's doing it with lesser talent.
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 17:42:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not to say that Waldrum hasn't recruited well, just that UNC has still gotten just about any player they want.

Has Waldrum produced any USWNT players?
by Tex Francisco  (2012-11-18 18:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shannon Box and Kate Sobrero were Pettruceli recruits, weren't they?

Not to my knowledge.
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 18:46:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Markgraf and Boxx both finished in '98 and Waldrum arrived in '99.

Hanks, Cinalli, Dew, Bock and Buczkowski played up through the U23 level, but never were part of a a senior WNT squad. Fowlkes made a camp, but not the squad, so she's topped out at U23 too.

Tancredi, Thorlakson, and Chapman have gotten capped for Canada -- all three played under Waldrum. I think Waldrum has had a couple of other countries, too.

A couple others
by Tim Neely  (2012-11-18 23:20:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gudrun Gunnarsdottir was on Iceland's national team. Also, Brittany Bock was named to the 18-woman USWNT roster for several matches in 2009, but did not earn a cap.

Right. Sadly, probably best remembered for OG in '04 NCG. *
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 23:32:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shaky regular season, but strong tourney this year.
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 15:14:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Combine that with an even-stronger-than-usual recruiting class coming in next year, and I do agree with you.

The regular season wasn't that bad.
by Tex Francisco  (2012-11-18 15:24:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The team was 3-3-1 while Roccaro and Laddish were away with the U20 national team, but once they returned, they were a pretty formidable side. It was unlucky timing to have such a young team coincide with a U20 World Cup year.

On paper, ND is going to be loaded the next few years
by MNG  (2012-11-18 15:18:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They only lose one starter from this season, Jazmin Hall, and while she's a solid player, she's not an All-American. Just a guess, but ND has to be, at a minimum, a pre-seaon top 10 pick next season, maybe even top 5.

Regardless of how they finish this year, I'd think they
by Tex Francisco  (2012-11-18 15:28:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should be a top 4 team next year. I don't know who loses what next year among the top teams, but Waldrum's track record seems to indicate that when his teams have the requisite talent and experience that ND can play with anyone in the country. ND should have ample talent and experience next year.

ND ladies now up 2-0 *
by MNG  (2012-11-18 14:33:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bohaboy GOAL! Irish up 2-0 with under 20 minutes to play. *
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 14:33:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shots two minutes later: hit the bar, then hit wide. *
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 14:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Under 10 left. Florida struggling to sustain possession. *
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 14:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Full-time. 2-0. Irish advance to the Elite 8.
by SavageDragon  (2012-11-18 14:53:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry Adriana, no tournament heroics for you this year. Your former team just knocked you out of the tournament on your home field.

Yup, given the rumors about friction between her and
by MNG  (2012-11-18 14:54:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some teammates a couple of years ago, this must be a bitter pill for her to swallow.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.