Are there any requirements on field dimensions?
by Irish 01 (2012-10-13 11:24:29)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Olympic ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The pitch was tiny. It was like a rec league that can't find a place to play. It was way short and very narrow. Doesn't excuse how the US played, but it was hard to do much with the pint sized field.

Now anything to stop US & Guatemala from playing for draw?
by SavageDragon  (2012-10-15 22:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A draw sends both through to the Hex, no?

Correct - should be very conservative both ways *
by BillShakespeare  (2012-10-16 00:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we have a 4 goal differential cushion if we lose right?
by DakotaDomer  (2012-10-16 13:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a +3 GD but in reality I think we would have the tie-breaker if there was a 0 GD so Jamaica needs to make up 4.

Another question:

Does it matter who is the winner and who is the runner-up of the group? No seeding or advantage to where you came from in the hex right?

No advantage whatsoever.
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-10-16 21:18:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Technically, we would get some benefit from the FIFA ranking points, but as a practical matter, we're pretty well guaranteed to be one of the top three teams in the region for the next pass of qualifying regardless.

Doesn't the winner get a guarantee? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2012-10-16 15:20:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guaranteed what? *
by DakotaDomer  (2012-10-16 18:09:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guaranteed trip to the World Cup. I thought I had heard
by G.K.Chesterton  (2012-10-19 03:16:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some teams could merit that, but looking at it now, that assumption on my part sounds dumb.

I think Tommy Smyth said it was a cricket pitch. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2012-10-13 14:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was.
by Xaeryne  (2012-10-13 14:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But if you watched the game, there was plenty of grass to have a larger field.

Not that I can blame A&B, take any advantage you can get over a team like the US. Nearly paid off for them too.

EDIT: It's also where the local USL team plays--speaking of which, I really liked the announcers' commentary about how MLS and the other US leagues have helped all of CONCACAF, not just the US improve in soccer.

The Chicago Stadium of the Caribbean. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2012-10-13 15:43:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Minimum 70 yds wide.
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-10-13 11:41:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supposedly, the U.S. did measure and determine that it was wide enough.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.