French talent...
by iudomer (2017-06-14 11:19:30)

as Bayern sign another CM, this one from France, saw on r/soccer, levels of starting 11s for France. This is always a fun exercise, but damn France has serious young talent:

Third team:
-----------Benzema---Fekir-------------
--Martial--Bakayoko---Nzonzi--Coman--
Hernandez--Laporte--KoulibalyKimpembe--Corchia
------------------Costil-----------------

Gameiro for Atleti would be 4th team.

Not a Sakho fan, aye?
by mitquinn  (2017-06-16 17:12:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, me neither.

Um....
by NDMike2001  (2017-06-16 10:06:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

holy shit.

Interesting right after Lloris all-time howler
by SixShutouts66  (2017-06-15 10:15:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even good/great players can cost team games. Last weekend in WC qualifier on the last play of added time with the score drawn 1-1 against Sweden, Lloris received a back pass and dribbled way from the goalie box and kicked a weak pass to midfield. Got to watch the Swedish player kick the ball in from the center line while he was about 50 yards away from his goal.

I thought only England goalkeepers were this caliber (perhaps Lloris' time at Tottenham infected him). On par with Paul Robinson kicking and missing a back pass that went into his goal or Robert Greene's howler agau=inst the US in tghe last WC (1-1 draw).

You're an Arsenal fan aren't you?
by spade  (2017-06-17 09:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kidding, but I do think Lloris is a good keeper. He is obviously good at leading a team to a 2nd place EPL finish. Everyone has a bad day and Ochoa walked miles off his line against USA as well.

...and yes, I'm a Spurs fan.

I was also kidding - seems like an excellent teaching moment
by SixShutouts66  (2017-06-17 12:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Swedish forward deserves a lot of credit for harrassing Lloris, especially at the very end of the game. It seems unusual to have such a mental gaffe by an elite GK, especially since instincts and intelligence seem to be necessary at this level. Obviously a kick over the sideline works. Unfortunately Lloris compounded the issue by failing to loft the ball and allow his teammates to commit enough mayhem to allow him to get back in position.

Just watched the recap...you're right
by spade  (2017-06-18 13:40:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're right that you're not an Arsenal fan, or else you wouldn't have stopped talking about Giroud's volley. Beautiful volley, but you're right it was spoiled by Lloris' dumb dribble out play. What was he thinking?

They'll be at each other's throats in no time.
by baloo88  (2017-06-15 09:02:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem with having a team full of incredibly talented French players is that they're all...well...French.

This generation does seem different though. Kante, Griezmann, Pogba, Koscielny, and Dembele seem like pretty good teammates. The same couldn't often be said for the likes of Anelka, Benzema, and Ribery.