The USSF should keep an eye on Navalny.
by skip encarnacion (2017-06-12 15:34:30)

If this guy winds up dead the USMNT has no business playing in Russia for the World Cup.

And I'm still hung up on Qatar.

Fair Point, and I may agree
by spade  (2017-06-14 12:33:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We boycotted Olympics before for politics, and if things go south in Russia (even if it will be "safe" for our fans, team etc) I would actually feel OK with pulling out support for this World Cup. But it has to go really really far south for that to happen.

Return to Stalin shit style, but yes if Navalny ends up assassinated, I think we will have much more to worry about than the WC 2018

With all the others who have died under Putin's watch,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-06-12 19:46:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not sure why this would change the mind of the USSF (much as I would want it to).

I recently heard a 30-minute interview with Vladimir Kara-Murza (who has survived two poisoning attempts). It should be listened to by anyone who has dreamy eyes about Putin.

I still put poor odds on Qatar happening
by wcnitz  (2017-06-12 15:52:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FIFA is doing their best to contain that shitstorm, but at some point it is going to catch fire.

England, please. *
by skip encarnacion  (2017-06-12 16:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm curious as to why Australia hasn't been brought up.
by PaulM  (2017-06-13 06:05:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They've never been a host, they routinely qualify on their own, the weather in Australia in June is lovely. I'm sure they have the infrastructure to host it with their sporting culture. Finally, that keeps the WC in Asia which seems to be important.

Maybe they just don't want it.

A lot of their stadiums are set up for rugby and Aussie Rule
by spade  (2017-06-14 12:42:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many of their stadiums are very oval in shape which isn't conducive to football. A few of them are listed as "convertible" but not sure how easy that would be to manage.

But I would have to agree, Australia in June does sound nice. It would be similar to playing in northern Germany in June. Sydney is High 65 Low 55