Josh Sargent at the U-20 World Cup
by plaid_pants (2017-05-22 20:19:23)

The United States drew its first group game at the U-20 World Cup with Ecuador 3-3 earlier today (or is that tomorrow?) in Korea.

Of note is that two of the goals were scored by a late addition to the roster by Tab Ramos, 17 year-old Josh Sargent. (Video of both goals in the link below). He beat Jozy Altidore's record as the youngest American to score in the U20 World Cup by some 140 days.

I don't think soccer analytics has caught up to baseball with minor league equivalency projections, but Josh had 19 goals and 7 assists in 34 matches during the just concluded U-17 World Cup Qualifying run-up.

Sporting Kansas City would own his rights were he to join the MLS, but the internet is saying he will go to Germany next year when he turns 18. He has already worked out for Schalke, Bremen, Stuttgart and PSV.

Perhaps more interesting is that fans are arguing who is the best prospect on this team between Luca de la Torre (M - Fulham), Derrick Jones (M -Philadelphia), Cameron Carter Vickers (D - Spurs), Erik Palmer Brown (D - Kansas City), Tyler Adams (M - Red Bull NY), Gedion Zelalem (M- Arsenal), Brooks Lennon (F - Liverpool) and Justen Glad (D - Salt lake).

Again, soccer analytics hasn't caught up to Bill James on career longevity projections, so I don't know how many 5* regarded prospects at 20 years old pan out as career-long starters at the highest levels, but that is looking like a good core group for the next generation of 2022 and 2026 World Cup cycles.

With the deciding goal against Senegal, he's got 3.
by PaulM  (2017-05-25 13:19:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That puts him tied for the lead with Sergio Cordova of Venezuela and Jean-Kevin Augustin of France. Pretty elite company for a 17 year old.

it was a sweet turn
by plaid_pants  (2017-05-25 13:50:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a basketball move

There was great passing all around on that goal. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-05-28 22:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Signing for Weder Bremen...
by iudomer  (2017-05-25 08:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

come February when he turns 18 per EspnFC.

I'm impressed by Lennon and de la Torre.
by baloo88  (2017-05-22 22:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was not terribly surprised to see that Lennon and de la Torre assisted on the two Sargent goals and that de la Torre scored the third. That cross from Lennon was a beauty, and Sargent nearly bungled an almost perfect pass from de la Torre on his first goal. As I opined after the CONCACAF Championship earlier this year, I think those two are likely to feature for the senior squad at some point in the next couple of years.

Apparently, the defense looked terrible today, with both Glad and Carter-Vickers out with minor injuries. I'm not sure what their status is for the match against Senegal, but if they're healthy, they could make USA a dark horse to win this tournament. Combined with Palmer-Brown, they'd make a pretty formidable defense. Without them, it seems the defense will be this team's undoing.

Looks like Zelalem blew out his knee in the match. *
by SavageDragon  (2017-05-22 21:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gooner fans say he is quite injury prone *
by plaid_pants  (2017-05-22 22:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He hasn't been able to make the leap
by mitquinn  (2017-05-23 19:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into more physical play. Wenger made some comments about his lack of physical development during his loan out as well. Last comments I saw is they wanted to renew his contract last January and try another go at adding some bulk onto his frame.

I've never been very impressed by him.
by baloo88  (2017-05-22 22:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't mean to kick him when he's down, but I don't think this team will miss him much if he's out for a while. I watched him in the 2015 U20 World Cup when his stock was pretty much at its highest, and I came away unsure how others could project him as a star. He plays a decent ball with his right foot, but his left foot is little more than a kickstand. His athleticism is below average, he's not very aggressive with his passing (lots of short sideways/backwards passes), and he has a tendency to dawdle on the ball.

He seems like a nice kid, and I really hope things pan out for him. It isn't time to put him out to pasture, but I just don't see it happening for him. And if this injury is serious, it really won't help.

He was elite at one thing early on but never developed
by PaulM  (2017-05-23 09:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's always been good in the middle of the field setting the tempo while finding and making good, high percentage passes. I think a lot of people forecasted him to get bigger, stronger, and faster and develop more areas of his game. He hasn't really done that and with his struggle to find playing time, I don't see him being able to.

If the injury is serious, I think that we have seen the last of him in a USA kit. He just doesn't offer anything that we'd miss with a player who is more well rounded. The next step for him will be crucial. I like the guy, and I hope he'll pan out, but I don't see it.