Panama scouting report
by wiNDycityfan (2017-03-27 11:00:46)

I've watched quite a bit of Panama over the last 8 years (born and raised until 11, so I keep tabs on things particularly when playing the USMNT).

Hernan Gomez's has taught his men to come out very orderly through the back, and rely on the possession game, although very thinly through the middle, and not too vertical (the last few matches though have shown the keeper restarting play via the goal kick, so possession has been an issue).

Their centerbacks are strong and experienced. They also play with a very disciplined CDM (yet prone to bad fouls), and they've (and appear to still be) very prone to wide attacks with crosses over the top. They've made changes for the US game aimed to support their attack (1 goal in 3 matches), but somehow left untouched their weakest units - the fullbacks, particularly the left back (Ovalle).

There's a lot of pressure for them to win, and they got blasted for their performance against T&T. This is a very desperate squad (and fan base), looking for a win at all costs - they see Russia as "the" chance to finally reach a World Cup.

I don't see how they could contain a wide US attack, but they hardly lay an egg at home, especially when they expected to be at the next level at this juncture of the Hex.

Prediction: Panama 1 - USA 1

Replies: