I thought I read
by HTownND (2017-03-09 10:22:44)
Edited on 2017-03-09 10:22:59

In reply to: This kind of match is insanely difficult to manage  posted by wcnitz

That it was yellow but switched to red because the center ref couldn't see that it was a last man situation, and that is what he confirmed with the fifth referee.

I suspect we'll never know, but would be interesting to see the match report

Two things on this
by mitquinn  (2017-03-09 11:03:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IIRC I think by rule the field ref should have given a straight red by rule if no attempt on the ball. I could be wrong. If that is the rule, then he could have been correcting his initial call. Im not sure what the protocol is there, but Im giving him an out.

Also, Martinez should have been booked for shouting down and interrogating the 5th official. Disgusting sportsmanship, but every team needs a player like that and Arsenal have not one.

The change itself was proper
by wcnitz  (2017-03-09 11:17:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because it was definitely not a play on the ball and clearly a DOGSO situation. But using the video board is the problem. It's hard not to look at it as an official but it's currently outside the LOTG.

Thankfully, the Bundesliga is using VAR next year and that should hopefully open the flood gates to allow officials access to it legally.

BTW, you're spot on in regards to Arsenal. They definitely lack that fight. I've probably watched them 20 times this year and it seems like most of the time, when things go the wrong way, the mental fortitude is not there.

I could write a book
by mitquinn  (2017-03-09 11:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the wonderful attributes: loyalty, on field autonomy, team before individuals etc., that Wenger has tried to preserve.

The sea of change within football, PL and debt servicing model all came at the wrong time for Arsenal and Arsene. That doesn't even get into the change in physical quality he chose to pursue (low center of gravity vs power/pace).

Still something to admire, but it is impossible to take the club beyond.

So here we stay...

Based on what's coming out of the board today
by wcnitz  (2017-03-09 11:40:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing at Arsenal will change unless Arsene decides it is time.