the Sacramento bid didn't appear to include the Republic
by plaid_pants (2017-02-01 14:39:27)

In reply to: Go Indy...  posted by iudomer

There is something weird going on with that one.

I would say Tampa is a lock based on history, long term level of support and a cool stadium project already planned with a view of the bay. Nice drive to Orlando for a local rivalry.

Indy has been a solid NASL team with above average attendance. Obviously IU has a good soccer history. Indy is a nice drive for rivalries with Chicago and Columbus. Lots to like with that bid, except apparently even the supporters group was surprised by it. It was a late evolving plan.

St. Louis has a long soccer history that should probably be rewarded, but they never seem to make any waves on the soccer scene with all of that history. When I was a kid, the NCAA style of play, 'merican soccer, was referred to as the St. Louis style. I could see Raleigh/Durham sneaking in there ahead of St. Louis to be a rivalry with Atlanta and to acknowledge the emerging dominance of the ACC in soccer.

Cincinnati had eye popping attendance this year, but it sort of came out of nowhere. That seems like a potentially risky franchise unless their stadium plan is really first rate.

I would steer clear of NFL markets with little soccer history. I think that means Detroit, Phoenix and San Diego. I would prefer non-NFL markets to play up the "soccer is different" hipster vibe that seems to work for most MLS franchises. If you are going into an NFL city, you need to be different, not expect the fan bases to overlap, and pan your stadium situation for the real fan base of hipsters and foreigners.

Replies: