12 cities bid for new MLS franchises
by fontoknow (2017-02-01 11:40:36)

I don't understand why Austin isn't all over this.
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-02-02 11:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're the largest city in the country without a major professional sports team (I think 3rd largest by metro area population). They've got an overwhelmingly young, professional, hipster demographic, combined with a large Hispanic population (between 35%-40%).

There's also a fair amount of relatively cheap land near downtown that could be used for a stadium, land that is already being redeveloped, and would be near the (otherwise, mostly useless) light rail with connections to the northern suburbs.

It just all makes too much sense.

Not that this would be a huge issue, but also UT doesn't
by Tex Francisco  (2017-02-02 16:30:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sponsor mens soccer.

I almost see that as a benefit
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-02-02 17:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since that would just be a potential conflict.

As for potential locations... either the old Holly Street power plant site, or the area bounded by 6th and 7th streets (maybe even 5th and 7th, though the new development there could be incorporated into the overall project), Calles street, and the rail to the west, with a stop right in front of the stadium.

they structured the San Antonio bid to include Austin
by plaid_pants  (2017-02-02 11:38:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Toyota field is on the North East side of San Antonio to make the commute less painful for Austin residents.

The San Antonio bid also has the advantage of having the Spurs management behind it. MLS likes rich owners that know what they are doing.

Eh
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-02-02 15:14:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's still an hour-long commute from downtown Austin, assuming no traffic (which is basically never the case on IH-35). The northern suburbs are more or less out, and the suburban location of the field in San Antonio isn't going to appeal at all to the base I was suggesting would make a downtown Austin location successful.

That said, I'm sure the San Antonio bid is going to do well in its own right. I'm just surprised Austin wasn't able to get anyone involved to put a serious bid together.

Chicago is still left without a professional team
by Irishlawyer  (2017-02-01 23:56:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know we have the Fire, but they're unprofessional.

Is there any other place they could have dropped that
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-02-02 13:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stadium? I live in Milwaukee but thinking about taking the kids a long way to go to Toyota Park to see an MLS game is DOA with me. There's no there there.

Arlington Heights or Itasca would have been better locations
by Irishlawyer  (2017-02-02 16:43:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I even enjoyed and went to games as a season ticket holder when they were at Soldier Field. Pretty much anything - a high school stadium - would be better than the drive to and getting out of Toyota Park.

I live 7 miles away and I don't even have a desire to go. * *
by ndroman21  (2017-02-03 10:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The North Central College site was better too
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-02-02 17:57:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd love to be a Fire fan, but the location of Toyota Park makes that a nonstarter.

Go Indy...
by iudomer  (2017-02-01 13:50:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

although 25/26 are virtually guaranteed for Sac/StL, 10 for 2 spots.

Take Beckham's Miami bid away, just a joke.

And Pro/Rel without Revenue Sharing won't happen. These fat cats banking the $150m fee to join, clowns.

the Sacramento bid didn't appear to include the Republic
by plaid_pants  (2017-02-01 14:39:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is something weird going on with that one.

I would say Tampa is a lock based on history, long term level of support and a cool stadium project already planned with a view of the bay. Nice drive to Orlando for a local rivalry.

Indy has been a solid NASL team with above average attendance. Obviously IU has a good soccer history. Indy is a nice drive for rivalries with Chicago and Columbus. Lots to like with that bid, except apparently even the supporters group was surprised by it. It was a late evolving plan.

St. Louis has a long soccer history that should probably be rewarded, but they never seem to make any waves on the soccer scene with all of that history. When I was a kid, the NCAA style of play, 'merican soccer, was referred to as the St. Louis style. I could see Raleigh/Durham sneaking in there ahead of St. Louis to be a rivalry with Atlanta and to acknowledge the emerging dominance of the ACC in soccer.

Cincinnati had eye popping attendance this year, but it sort of came out of nowhere. That seems like a potentially risky franchise unless their stadium plan is really first rate.

I would steer clear of NFL markets with little soccer history. I think that means Detroit, Phoenix and San Diego. I would prefer non-NFL markets to play up the "soccer is different" hipster vibe that seems to work for most MLS franchises. If you are going into an NFL city, you need to be different, not expect the fan bases to overlap, and pan your stadium situation for the real fan base of hipsters and foreigners.

San Diego is a non-NFL city with a ton of soccer history
by catripledomer  (2017-02-05 16:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Chargers just left to play in StubHub for 2 years, then the new LA stadium. San Diego has professional indoor soccer and has a ton of players and fans. Drop a nice stadium next to Petco Park and you are ready to roll. Of course, they would play in Qualcomm for now, especially since the only occupant is San Diego State.

Only in Sacramento would they screw it up.
by skip encarnacion  (2017-02-03 12:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The MLS needs to intervene here. The Republic should not be muscled out of this. That will be good for nobody.

Greedy shitbags in Sacramento. I grew up there. Nothing ever changes.