Old news: Justin Morrow among January call-ups for USMNT.
by G.K.Chesterton (2017-01-23 14:55:42)

This is news from several weeks back but I don't recall seeing here a discussion about Justin Morrow being called to the USMNT camp. Other than knowing he played for ND, I am not familiar with him.

Does he have any shot of making the roster?

he can play left fullback, so he has a chance
by plaid_pants  (2017-01-23 15:17:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Left fullback always seems to be a difficult position for the US to fill. DaMarcus Beasley could conceivably be called out of retirement to play DL.

Personally, I think Jorge Villafana was excellent for Portland in 2015 and is worth a call-up to camp to check him out. He is limited going forward with his use of the ball being a little suspect, but he has excellent defensive positioning and never got beat by MLS-level talent.

Bruce Arena has seen every left fullback in the MLS since 2006. If he is calling up Justin Morrow, there is a reason and he has a chance to make it.

Well, I'm a doofus because it looks like he wasn't called up
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-01-25 00:53:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at all. It must have been my imagination.

and just like that, Villafana did get called up
by plaid_pants  (2017-01-26 13:07:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's like we have the world on mind control.

Me, nada, You, on the other hand... *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-01-26 16:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post