Dom Dwyer will be a US citizen in less than a month
by plaid_pants (2017-01-18 00:34:22)

I see Dwyer as a better version of Charlie Davies. And based on Altidore's fragile body, I think having Dwyer on the team is probably a good idea. What's even better is that Dwyer plays like an American. He is one hard fighting, little, high motor sun of a gun.
Also, Kekuta Manneh is now a US citizen. Manneh is a faster, less game intelligent version of Landon Donovan. I think I would rather have Zardes, Nagbe, Kljestan and Lletget on the team instead of Manneh, but the point is our attacking four is suddenly getting rather deep. Had the US ever had a selection problem due to an abundance of riches before?

This is what growth looks like, and all of those players are MLS. They are no Christian Pulisic, but I'll take them all.

Yep; don't forget the Dwyer/LeRoux kid in ~2032 or so too! *
by Irish2003  (2017-01-20 05:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gotta fend off England and Canada for allegiance. *
by SavageDragon  (2017-01-20 12:15:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen Manneh play twice in person.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2017-01-19 21:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not far behind Zardes--still just 22. One of the fastest players I've ever seen. Very aggressive, goal scoring mentality, which I loved.

Its an abundance of potential riches
by alleghenyirish  (2017-01-19 20:23:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But aside from Pulisic no one has really hit the next level, they're all sort of bunched up together.

I'd like to see at least one more take that next step, maybe it will be Morris in a few years. But Manneh is another that has a shot.

I think Morris has great potential.
by baloo88  (2017-01-19 21:51:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He needs to learn to use his left foot (which would greatly help his finishing) and his passing is nothing to write home about, but his athleticism, motor, and nose for goal are elite. I watched a ton of Sounders games this year, and I saw him address the weaknesses I mentioned to a certain extent. If he can continue that pace of improvement, I can see him being an impact player for a club in one of the major European leagues in a couple years.

Dempsey could be an ideal mentor in this respect. When I think Dempsey, I think skill with the ball and finishing. Those are probably Morris's biggest weaknesses. That said, Morris will need to leave MLS at some point if he wants to reach his potential.

Is he better than Wondo?
by NDMike2001  (2017-01-18 09:24:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm kidding. The actual question is whether he is better than Morris. Right now I think Morris is that role. And Gyasi Zardes is the bigger stronger version with an inside track.

My guess is that the starters will be Wood and Altidore up top with Pulisic and Zardes as wingers. If Dempsey is healthy he'll be a sub. There's probably probably room for one pure forward like Morris or Dwyer. Guys like Johanson and Green may be on the outside looking in. Especially if Fabian Johnson is a midfielder.

That's pretty good depth. I wouldn't call it riches, but certainly some tough selections.

Now what if Zelalem...