Interesting move with West Ham
by HTownND (2017-01-12 11:29:23)

And the Payet stuff.

Bilic came out and said they aren't selling Payet.

Now, this sort of stuff comes up a ton, especially at the end of a contract, but Payet is locked in until 2021.

Are they really just going to hold him the whole time?

I appreciate West Ham trying to take a stand on this stuff, but I just don't see how it works.

This one is interesting though, because Payet just signed his extension a year ago, and it runs for several more seasons. West Ham is holding a few more cards than others, because they are a long way off from him leaving on a free transfer, so there isn't as much risk.

Update
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 17:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

West Ham just told Marseille and their 20 million to sod off swampy

I would too.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-01-12 17:20:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then I'd call one of these Chinese outfits and really cash in on him.

As far as I know, they are not leveraged up
by mitquinn  (2017-01-12 15:36:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on stadium costs.

227MM to convert the place, Hammers brought 15MM to the table.

Cost of rent per year is 2.5MM

They will sell him to maximize at some point, but its intriguing they are not forced.

Have to wonder what Payet's agent is advising. Im assuming most of it would be driven from this person.

This is where I'm at
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 16:52:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

West Ham seems to hold a few more cards here than a lot of clubs in this situation have in the past.

Depends on who gives in first
by wcnitz  (2017-01-12 14:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One side has to, because he's not going to sit for 3+ years. So we'll just have to see who cave first. My guess is that it will be West Ham, and they'll sell him in the summer.

Sure
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 16:53:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they really don't have to.

At this point, his value is already sunk to the point they'll never get a good return. What does it cost them to have him sit?

The only downside is attracting other players, but I think being in London with the new stadium will continue to be a draw for players looking to make a name for themselves.

Except for depreciating your asset.
by NDMike2001  (2017-01-12 12:03:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think West Brom has probably lost a fair amount of money sitting on Saido Berahino. Not only in transfer fee but also wages.