CP has sacked Pardew to get Big Sam
by HTownND (2016-12-22 15:18:58)
Edited on 2016-12-22 15:23:12

Didn't see that coming. I know they are close to relegation, but I thought he'd be given a little more rope.

Bob Bradley breathes a sigh of relief.
by baloo88  (2016-12-22 17:56:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had seen rumors that the Swansea owners were starting to feel the pressure from the supporters and were considering lining up Big Sam if things didn't turn around soon. Bradley probably still needs a win before January to avoid the axe, but if Allardyce is off the market, Swansea might struggle to find a much better replacement.

Bob Bradley will never get the chance to win in January. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2016-12-27 14:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, Pardew is pretty good.
by NDMike2001  (2016-12-23 08:05:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm actually surprised that he didn't succeed at CP, but I suppose that's what happens when you get Benteke.

Palace's problems are with the defense and midfield.
by steez_nutz  (2016-12-27 02:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The defense has been abysmal and the midfield somewhat disorganized. Benteke has played well thus far, though his PK on Boxing Day was terrible. I haven't looked at the updated table, but the number of goals conceded by Palace is bottom-3, and a large number of those occurred within the closing minutes of a half and/or in stoppage time. I think they are mid-table in terms of goals scored, with Benteke probably leading the team. I know he didn't fit well with Liverpool, but he's been pretty good up top for Palace. All that said, Palace has slide dramatically in the last 12 months. Last year around Christmas, they were in the top 5-7 in the league (mostly with smoke & mirrors), and then they didn't win a league game for about 4 months. They were never close to relegation, but they were close to having to think about it. This year has been more of the same, only with more goals (both ways).

I don't really follow them.
by NDMike2001  (2016-12-28 12:38:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just know that they paid a lot of money for a player that is really limited in what he can do. He's not going to offer much on defense and really requires a lot of service to be productive, which lends itself to very little flexibility in system(s). He seems like a good fit for Tony Pulis - except for when Pulis is completely parking the bus and just wants to play with speedy forwards to steal a goal on a break.

I just don't know why they paid so much for a player when that amount can pay for a few more Zahas and Cabayes (theoretically).

Those are fair points. On Zaha, I'm reading that
by steez_nutz  (2016-12-30 17:10:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big Sam might sell him in January. It seems Zaha playing in the African Cup of Nations is a source of consternation.

gotta love their intro song and cheerleaders lol *
by fourputtmd  (2016-12-27 16:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since I try to ignore the English FA as much as I can
by wcnitz  (2016-12-22 16:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How can they fire him just months ago and then turn around and allow him to be a head coach (anywhere) again in England? Does the FA just not care about what he did as long as he's not the manager for England anymore? I don't get it.

The Guardian has an answer to your question. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2016-12-22 19:14:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post