On the first point
by HTownND (2016-12-21 17:25:47)

In reply to: I think we're agreeing.  posted by ndroman21

Yes, I do think he should STFU. How many of those calls has Arsene benefited from in his career? Those type of bang bang calls tend to balance out when it's all said and done. It wasn't an egregious miscarriage of justice. I think he was offside, but not so egregiously so that it's an obvious call or that I'd call him clearly offsides. It was a bang bang judgement call.

I'm not saying he should be happy about it, but most managers chalk those things up to the bang bang nature of it, and don't waste precious time and energy bitching about it.

You mean like this?
by ndroman21  (2016-12-21 17:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have different standards for incidents involving your teams than you do for incidents involving their rivals.

Sure
by HTownND  (2016-12-22 10:37:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But there's a difference between a bang bang offside call and a missed foul call no?

Managers, including Arsene, always bitch about the latter. But the former, you don't see a ton of bitching about, because that tends to even out.

I think missed offsides calls can be even more important...
by ndroman21  (2016-12-22 12:30:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...as they often and, in this case, lead directly to goals. A foul call outside of the area leads to a goal what? 5% of the time? 10%?

The foul call can be just as controversial and bang/bang as an offsides call. I would think that most managers would bitch about either circumstance, but I rarely pay attention to managers' postgame comments, even Wenger's.

Edit: There was also a similar bang/bang offsides call against Arsenal in the 1st half. So part of the problem was that it didn't even out.