And it's official
by catripledomer (2016-11-22 14:30:12)

Well, OK. I'm not a Bruce Arena fan, but he may ...
by Rocksteady74  (2016-11-22 21:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... well be our best choice for the rest of this cycle. Nearly all quality coaches in the world are engaged in league contests at the moment, and aren't available. Any foreign coach that may be available won't be familiar with the MLS, many of our players, and may not even speak English. Arena understands qualifying through Concaf, and understands WC qualifying generally. We're two games in the hole and can't suffer a slow ramp up.

And at Arena's age, he knows it is his last shot at this level.

Alan Gordon can be the new Wondo now *
by plaid_pants  (2016-11-22 14:35:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This brings up a question I have.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2016-11-22 14:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whose butt cheeks tightened when they heard Klinsmann was fired because they know that Arena won't want them on this team?

Wondo, Orozco, Green, Stanko, Beckerman at least *
by Boston Domer  (2016-11-22 17:13:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone did their take on this topic. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2016-11-23 13:15:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How do they miss Nagbe? *
by NDMike2001  (2016-11-23 14:22:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nagbe is linked with Celtic.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2016-11-25 11:38:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently he was present for the Barca match this week.

Why Stanko?
by SavageDragon  (2016-11-22 20:18:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not a matter of talent / aging out like Wondo or Beckerman, so I assume he merits your list because he plays in Germany (well, actually Switzerland (well, actually Liechtenstein)) rather than domestically.

He's American-born and trained. I doubt a kid from Michigan who played on all the U-whatever teams as he aged up, and didn't move abroad until age 18 would fail Bruce's "does he really care about the flag/country/team" litmus test.

Wondo is Native American
by Boston Domer  (2016-11-23 07:58:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He meets Arena's red white and blue test better than anyone, but I think he's out of the picture because he's not that good. Stanko can barely get on the field for a mediocre Swiss team. I think he's just not that good (yet).

Green? Are you nuts? *
by NDMike2001  (2016-11-22 19:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Green plays in Germany
by BlarneyGreen  (2016-11-22 21:35:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arena is a dickwad and a douche, and potentially hostile to players who turned down the shit money and terrible competition offered by the MLS.

I think that is what the poster is saying.

Plays is the operative word. Green isn't doing much of it. *
by Boston Domer  (2016-11-23 07:55:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are worse things than being a fringe player
by NDMike2001  (2016-11-23 12:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on one of the elite clubs in the world. He's making the squad, so it's not like he can't compete.

And besides the obvious promise to take him to the WC if he committed to the US, it's not like JK was giving Green the Wondo or Altidore favoritism.

Better that he train everyday against the elite of Germany
by blarneygreen  (2016-11-23 12:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than against the "elite" of the Houston Metro Area.

Elite of the world...not just Germany. *
by NDMike2001  (2016-11-23 14:18:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He walked back that comment earlier this year but he
by G.K.Chesterton  (2016-11-22 22:39:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

obviously has to sell himself to the players.

In a podcast with Fox Sports' Alexi Lalas in April of this year, Arena clarified his remarks, stating that, "If you hold a passport, you're eligible to play for the national team. I understand that and have no problem with that. In this day and age -- our country's a melting pot, so to say that you need to be born in the U.S. to play for the national team is a ridiculous point of view.