Klinsmann and Landon Donovan
by plaid_pants (2016-11-22 12:00:06)

MLS.com's Armachair Analyst posted these factoids yesterday:

When Donovan played for the USMNT, Klinsmann was 9-1-1. When Donovan did not play, Klinsmann was 19-12-5.

Donovan had 8 goals and 8 assists in those 11 games.

See 2013 Gold Cup.
by baloo88  (2016-11-22 14:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those matches really buoy Donovan's numbers under Klinsmann, but most teams sent B+ squads to that tourney.

I was thinking about Donovan this morning
by catripledomer  (2016-11-22 14:26:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Arena is actually the new manager, I could see a return for Donovan to the USMNT - even if it is just to provide depth and experience. This is based on his return to and role with the Galaxy this past season.

I don't think it would be a good idea, but I could see it happening.

his time should be over
by plaid_pants  (2016-11-22 14:33:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found the stats interesting because Klinsmann chose to make an example of Donovan lacking heart or toughness. He was the first player thrown under the bus. The linked article talks about the next two players thrown under the buss and the loss of the locker room that may have resulted.

I think the moral of the story is that managers get work done through the efforts of other people. You need to have your people's backs, and you better choose your fights wisely. Those Donovan stats are insane. He did not choose wisely.

I wouldn't want him to be a 90-minute player...
by Mr Wednesday  (2016-11-22 19:03:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but he might still have value as a late-game offensive sub (which is the role he should have had in Brazil in 2014).