Arena's a heck of a lot better than Davie.
by Mr Wednesday (2016-11-21 20:29:56)

In reply to: That's like replacing Willingham with Davie. *  posted by tex29

I'd hesitate to equate Arena with Ara, especially given that he's never managed at the highest level of club play, but it might be the best ND equivalent in terms of Arena basically having the best historical level of success with the U.S. team (and he's had a pretty good run in MLS too).

That's all true. I meant it more in terms of one coach who
by tex29  (2016-11-21 20:37:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

couldn't get over the hump at ND being brought back just because he was better than the last guy. What an uninspiring hire. We know, almost beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Arena can't take our program to the next level. Why not take a chance on someone else?

He had the '02 team playing well enough to make the semis.
by Mr Wednesday  (2016-11-21 21:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a pretty good argument that we outplayed Germany, certainly we played well enough to win the game.

He can get us qualified for '18, and I think the talent is there to make a run if we catch a favorable draw.

Sure, '06 was a disappointment, but I think it's pretty clear by now that most coaches will struggle to sustain success past a single World Cup. (Plus, the '06 team had injury issues and a pretty big talent hole in mid-20's aged players to deal with.)