Finally boarding the Fire Klinsmann bandwagon. Who's next?
by PaulM (2016-11-16 02:28:47)

I think Klinsmann is the best technical director the USA has ever had. I'd love to see him continue in that position, and I am grateful for the work he has put in over the last 6 years. I really do think the USA is in a much better spot than they were before him, and he had a lot to do with it.

That said, his clear limitations as a manager are only going to hold the USA back. So the question is when, not if, Klinsmann should be replaced. Now seems like a good time. The team is struggling. Bradley could defect to Cuba and he'd still get a call-up. They quit in San Jose. With 8 more games of the hex, there's enough time for a new manager to make an impact; furthermore with no Hex games until March, the new manager would have lots of time.

The only thing that concerns me is who the replacement would be. Who is even out there? We can talk about Bielsa or Van Gaal but I don't feel like those options are realistic. What would their motivation be? Arena would be a disaster. The last thing we need right now with so much overseas talent is an MLS-centric coach.

David Wagner, who has Huddersfield in 3rd place in the Championship, would be my pick, but only if Klinsmann was retained as technical director. I'm not comfortable with a manager brand new to the international game is dropped straight into the Hex.

Replies: