Finally boarding the Fire Klinsmann bandwagon. Who's next?
by PaulM (2016-11-16 02:28:47)

I think Klinsmann is the best technical director the USA has ever had. I'd love to see him continue in that position, and I am grateful for the work he has put in over the last 6 years. I really do think the USA is in a much better spot than they were before him, and he had a lot to do with it.

That said, his clear limitations as a manager are only going to hold the USA back. So the question is when, not if, Klinsmann should be replaced. Now seems like a good time. The team is struggling. Bradley could defect to Cuba and he'd still get a call-up. They quit in San Jose. With 8 more games of the hex, there's enough time for a new manager to make an impact; furthermore with no Hex games until March, the new manager would have lots of time.

The only thing that concerns me is who the replacement would be. Who is even out there? We can talk about Bielsa or Van Gaal but I don't feel like those options are realistic. What would their motivation be? Arena would be a disaster. The last thing we need right now with so much overseas talent is an MLS-centric coach.

David Wagner, who has Huddersfield in 3rd place in the Championship, would be my pick, but only if Klinsmann was retained as technical director. I'm not comfortable with a manager brand new to the international game is dropped straight into the Hex.

Bruce decides who is American...
by iudomer  (2016-11-18 14:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Forgot about this...

@TheM_L_G: Ugh I had totally forgotten that Bruce Arena believes he gets to unilaterally decide who is and isn't American.

Maybe he and Wambach can do it by committee *
by PaulM  (2016-11-18 23:20:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is the USMNT in a "much better spot"?
by wiNDycityfan  (2016-11-16 19:09:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Popularity wise the sport has grown a ton, but results wise, the USMNT has pretty much stayed right where Bob Bradley left off.

Let's face it, Klinsmann has about squeezed as much juice as his predecessors, and you could also say there's more talent now than there was, say, in 2010.

He's the Brian Kelly of soccer. That 3-men backline against Mexico was the last straw. The man is a grab bagger, and last night's display (score aside) gave me just a hunch that players may know that too.

The time is right for blood transfusion. Klinsmann needs to go shuffle lineup decks elsewhere.

In some ways they are in a better spot
by miamioh_irishfan  (2016-11-18 12:53:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the talent pool is deeper than it ever has been, and Klinsmann deserves credit for that. He also made a lot of progress in the technical development role, but I do think that area has a long way to go.

As fans of the sport, we're growing more knowledgeable and can better assess the tactics and strategy deployed by the manager, which puts the MNT program in a better spot overall.

I think it's definitely time to make the change in manager. He relies way to heavily on coaching superlatives like passion, trying hard and having a lot of intensity in hopes that will be enough to defeat an opponent. It's clear he is tactically deficient.

Sam Allardyce is available
by plaid_pants  (2016-11-16 10:01:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and despite his recent circumstances, I think he would be a decent choice.

Oh, man, I would love that.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2016-11-16 10:37:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big Sam seems like one of those rare guys you could drop just about anywhere and he'd start getting decent results.

Get on the fire Gulati bandwagon
by Irishlawyer  (2016-11-16 07:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fish rot from the head and US Soccer is basically demonstrating all of the attributes of your local big-bad push everyone around youth club that dominates the region and is run by thoughtless, non-innovative, power hungry a-holes.

I've been there since the '90s. He is worthless and all ....
by Rocksteady74  (2016-11-16 15:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... about just protecting his job.

Sign me up.
by prophetofdoom  (2016-11-16 09:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He sucks too. The whole program sucks. Zero progress in 8 years.

What evidence is there of JK's abilities as tech director?
by NDMike2001  (2016-11-16 07:06:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He certainly had the gravitas to recruit foreign/dual nationals, and for that the US is in a better position moving forward.

But do we know that he is a good technical director?

He did overhaul the licensing program for coaches
by catripledomer  (2016-11-16 12:28:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is much tougher than it used to be. At the "D" license level they actually have a 33% rate of "Not Ready" evaluations. Another fraction of the candidates only receive state level certification and must re-test to achieve national certification. In the old days (20 years ago), if you showed up you pretty much just passed.

Additionally, any license above D now requires a 9 day residency program for completion. The content and emphasis on how to coach and team management is real. The expected level of technical and tactical proficiency is pretty high. This was not the case before Klinnsmann took over.

Question.
by IrishCavan  (2016-11-16 12:48:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard people complain that high-level US soccer is a sport for the upper-middle class (and that includes coaching...that the coaching certificate has become very expensive) and, although, there are a few programs that provide "scholarships" to under-privileged kids, most of it is out of the reach of the vast majority of Americans. Would you agree with this? That seems to be pretty much the case in my area. I see the Hispanic kids playing soccer in the parks but rarely are they on top-level teams. It is even rarer to see a black kid on one of those teams. Would you agree.

My kids chose not to play soccer, instead opting for baseball, basketball and track, so I could be way off here.

That is very much the case near us
by catripledomer  (2016-11-16 17:03:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are occasssionally Hispanic players that get scholarship opportunities with top clubs, but most play in the Sunday "Mexican" league in our area (South Orange County). I did not use quotes to be derogatory - that's actually how the league is referenced.

Club soccer in SoCal costs between $2,000 - $3,000 / year plus travel, uniforms, etc... The problem we have is that field space is extremely expensive.

You are correct with regard to the US Soccer certifications as well. They cost around $1300. That's because the instructors get paid, field space is rented, etc...

The pay to play model for youth club soccer could be fixed if / when the clubs are allowed to recoup the cost of player development by owning the future rights to the player. There are a large number of issues with this without even approaching the employer / employee aspects of the relationship, but someone eventually needs to figure this out. Right now it is just another soccer career path that requires funding on a large scale - hence the cost to the player.

Most coaches I know, including myself, appreciate the NSCAA
by Slotts  (2016-11-16 14:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

licensing component far more than the USSF.

This is a big ship to turn, but he's made progress
by PaulM  (2016-11-16 10:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would say these the biggest things done during his tenure (whether directly from his input or not, it's hard to tell):

With the youth:
- The expansion of the US Developmental Academies that offer high quality training at reduced or eliminated prices
- The recent addition of the U12 level at multiple of said DAs, soon to be in all of them
- The initialization of the Doublepass audit of the youth soccer system in the USA and in the MLS

With the senior team:
- Increased recruitment of dual nationals who are key to success at the international level
- Emphasized competing in Europe as a path to spots on the National Team
- Put real pressure on the MLS to increase their standard of play

What is still to be done:
- Youth academies must be able to recoup fees via training compensation and solidarity fees
- A better network of scouting and developing talent in such a decentralized country must continue to be developed and perfected
- College soccer needs to get on board with player development. The biggest help would be adopting a year-long college soccer season.

Some of these things will take 5-10 years before we see the results in the National Team. That said, they're already happening; firing Klinsmann doesn't undo what he's done thus far. If there's a better option available, now is a perfect time to cut ties with him.

To your point...
by NDMike2001  (2016-11-16 11:45:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assuming that the changes have been positive, and I don't know either way, is there evidence that the direction is his? I seem to recall some questions about his actual involvement.

I agree. I see little evidence that Klinsmann
by IrishCavan  (2016-11-16 10:07:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has made a big difference in elevating US Soccer. I am no expert on the system, but folks I know who have had kids go through it have not spoken fondly of the way talent is identified and then trained. We are still light years behind European and S. American programs.

I'm driving. Have been for awhile
by prophetofdoom  (2016-11-16 04:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And for half price, I'll give you a seat on the FireJones, FireBedoya, FireGuzan, FireZusi, and FireWondolowski bandwagons. And I'm warming up the FireBradley, FireGonzalez, FireBrooks and FireBesler bandwagons so stay tuned for a deal on those.

This team and the program are horrible.

FireBrooks? You're joking
by alleghenyirish  (2016-11-16 16:00:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best player at the Copa tourney and a young talnted CB with one of the best teams in Germany.

But he blew it in Costa Rica time for him to go?

Get the fuck outta here.

You're right. A spasm of disgust
by prophetofdoom  (2016-11-18 22:46:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm just sick of this whole program.