Pulisic is a great CAM, but who takes LM?
by PaulM (2016-11-13 02:48:47)

In reply to: I'm actually somewhat encouraged by what happened last night  posted by wcnitz

The problem is he's also great out left when we have someone else at CAM. Fabian Johnson was good enough there, but then there are massive holes at left back. I really liked the trio of Wood, Altidore, and Pulisic at the center of the attack. Until we have more players on the left side than Johnson and Pulisic (Acosta maybe? Castillo? Morris as a left wing?)

When you have Pulisic at CAM in the 4-4-2 (or as a deep playmaking forward in a 4-3-3) that means the CDM needs to be aggressive in defense, tackle well, and be capable of linking up the defense with the midfield. Bradley seems to be failing at this for whatever reason, and the end result is that opposing teams get to hold the ball for long stretches as we lose possession in our own half. Part of that is the pairing with Jones on the right which I believe is a poor one. Jones' freelancing limits Bradley's ability to make things happen all around the field, and Bradley looks tentative as a result.

The 3-5-2 has potential but it was terribly stupid against Mexico. Cameron would have been a necessity and Besler couldn't pick up the slack. Bradley and Jones seemed lost and confused but they look that way in the 4-4-2 as well. It could work, and in a lot of ways it's the direction many teams are heading. I just don't think that the US is producing players experienced in a 3 back lineup. Here's what it could look like in our current roster, and if it's failing it could easily be adjusted into a better 4-4-2 than what we saw last match.

Replies: