Yes - a personal sense of shame.
by airborneirish (2024-03-04 21:00:49)

In reply to: Ah, I don't know...  posted by Kbyrnes

Some folks need external feedback. i agree that positive feedback is superior to negative feedback. Normalizing gluttony and indolence will not help those folks who are suffering metabolic disease due to their dietary choices. The four women on that page are gluttons. It used to be that we took no qualms with pointing out cupidity, gluttony, sloth, etc. Apparently that era is over. At a minimum then I ask that we not endorse their lifestyles and we use words that have clear meaning: gluttony is bad, balance is good. Obesity is unhealthy, etc.

I agree we should shame the food industry who has made "whole food" prohibitively expensive and unpopular while stuffing lower income people with sugar and other insulin spiking crap that is manifestly unhealthy. An typical container of fresh spinach costs $6 and contains 35 calories. One would have to consume 57 servings to get 2000 calories. But if you take that same container and saute the spinach in butter and then serve it along fried chicken you may think you just "ate healthy" when you basically consumed 400 calories of butter.

The less we shame these producers and the more we normalize these awful eating habits the longer we will have to endure obesity. What is the solution? I am a simple man and like simple solutions so I simply refuse to endorse gluttons who say ridiculous shit like "if I 'fits' I 'sits.'" Maybe that is too on the nose with some of our obese posters. I recommend they look in the mirror and grab some fat. If they can do so by the handful they ought to consider they aren't going to be on this planet much longer.

I weigh 245 lbs. When I diet and walk a lot I can get down to 230. The lightest I have been is 200 lbs when I came back from Iraq and looked like a skeleton with no body fat. I "work out a lot" because I could easily look like Jason Kelce and I know that I won't be among the living long if I go that route. I'm not naturally thin. I drank coke and ate bread by the loaf as a kid. My insulin resistance is not geared towards easily maintaining a healthy weight.

I appreciate how hard it is to eat healthy. I gave up booze for 90 days easily but can't nail sticking to a healthy eating plan for more than 3 days at a time. Is this futile? I don't know. But telling people "hey just have a pill" enables the food industry to keep pumping out poison and ignores that at some point one must manifest a modicum of will power and put down the artificial maple syrup and mountain dew.

Call that a sense of shame, or call it what you will but it is keeping me alive.