Dammit, we agree
by ravenium (2024-03-04 19:21:30)

In reply to: It really is more complex than that  posted by ACross

I think being online too much/staring at a TV/pop culture inhalation is a detriment to our well-being. Cults, whether they're twitter, NDNation, or cross-fit, are best enjoyed in moderation.

The fashion industry threw near-impossible standards of "thin" and beauty on us for years. One of my friends growing up was bulimic. Another was harassed for being a "tomboy". I'm sure I only saw the tip of the psychological damage.

There is absolutely a problem with obesity in America, but it's not solved by doing more psychological damage, nor is it encouraging people to do nothing. If only there were a path of moderation that encouraged people to make better choices and be the best individual they can. We should encourage the journey via whatever method works, be it weight loss drugs or otherwise.

Similarly, the medical industry is suffering from a pseudo-populist loss of belief in expertise, as you mentioned in the SEE post. People rush the fill the gaps with a bunch of bullshit because it's far more profitable to tell people you have the answer to all their problems if you just take x y z and BIG MEDICAL PHARMA doesn't want you to know it! Non-diabetics are wearing glucose monitors now, for chrissake. Any type one diabetic should be pissed, kind of like celiacs are annoyed at people who state they are "gluten free".

Get a good doctor, listen to them (unless they say to eliminate drinking, then get a new doctor).

Anyway, it's almost street hockey season and you'll see me out there running up and down the court. I'm a little slower, I'm about 5 lbs heavier than I should be, but I am absolutely devious. Get off my lawn, young people.

Replies: