Here is a better link...
by Kbyrnes (2024-03-01 12:38:02)
Edited on 2024-03-01 12:54:43

In reply to: Edits made to this. Two interesting articles in NY Post.  posted by Jfs86

...It's to the actual transcript: Hunter Biden/impeachment testimony transcript 2-29-2024 (linked from Rebecca Falconer, "Key takeaways from transcript of Hunter Biden's testimony," axios.com, updated March 1, 2024).

It is misleading to say that Hunter "admitted" that Joe Biden was the "Big Guy." Here are relevant snippets:

Page 115

"Q And then "10 held by H," which would be you, "for the big guy," which presumably is your dad, correct?

Mr. Goldman. Question mark, correct?

BY [REDACTED]:

Q Question mark.

A Question mark. Not only question mark, but all I know this is, is that,
number one, there's only one agreement that includes Tony Bobulinski, that is executed, that is signed by me. There's only one message that I had as it relates to any involvement that I had with Tony Bobulinski, James Gilliar, my uncle, and Rob Walker, and it did not involve my dad.

There's an executed agreement in which I got 20 percent, Jim got 20 percent, Rob 15 got 20 percent, Tony got 20 percent, and James Gilliar got 20 percent. Nothing do with Joe Biden. And the only agreement that was drafted before that had 50-50, and I was -- I was the one 50. I was 50, and Mr. Ye was the other 50. And the only company that ever existed that had any involvement with Mr. Ye that was ever an actual operating company was the company Hudson West Three, in which I owned 50 percent, and Mr. Ye owned 50 percent."

Pages 117-118

"Q One final question, because our round is up, I know everyone's disappointed by that. But the reference to the big guy, you would agree, is a reference to your father?

A I truly don't know what the hell that James was talking about. All I know is that what actually happened. All I know is that what was executed in the agreement, and the agreement didn't have anything to do with my father. He's never benefited from my business, and he's never taken an action to benefit me or any of my business.

Q If that's the case, though, why is Gilliar drafting something like that?

A Because I think that it was just as Rob Walker said. I think that it was pie in the sky. Like Joe Biden's out of the office. Maybe we'll be able to get him involved. Remember, again, is that Joe Biden, for first time in 48 years, is not an elected official and is not seeking office. And so James is probably, like, wow, wouldn't be great if a former Vice President could be in our business together?"

Page 120

"Q Good afternoon, Mr. Biden. I want to come back to exhibit 16, which is the last exhibit my Republican colleagues introduced, the email from James Gilliar to Tony Bobulinski, cc'ing Rob Walker and you, in which he has that question at the end, "10 held by H for the big guy?"

A Yes.

Q I just want to be very clear. This is an email sent by James Gilliar. He's the one making this suggestion, posing this question.

A Yes.

Q This is not from you?

A Yes.

Q You never suggested that your father become involved in your business dealings with CEFC.

A I never suggested that. That never happened.

Q And I think during your round of questioning, you talked about how, you know, this idea that he would join is kind of crazy and you would shut it down. And I wanted to ask you kind of: What -- why was that your view?

A Well, it was my view because my father's never been involved in any of my businesses. He's never taken a role, never had any stake in any of my businesses, or benefited from any of my businesses. And it's just something that I would not do."

The "Question mark" comment up at the start refers to the fact that "10 held by H for the big guy" was not a declarative statement, but a question. In the source email, it reads, "10 held by H for the big guy?"

Rob Walker, in his own deposition on January 26, made this point as well. See Walker deposition 1-26-2024.

Snippets:

"It has a question mark on the end, and this is an email, and this was not -- this is hypothetical, and this was never followed through within any agreement....I think he was tossing some things out there....He doesn't know. Nobody responded to this. And when the deal came through, I think it was 20 percent across the board. And it never happened. The structure was put together, but the thing dissolved shortly thereafter, also....[Rep. Jordan: "20 percent across the board for who?"] "Hunter, me, James Gilliar, Tony, and Jim."