I bet at least 2 of the 3 rule against him. *
by manofdillon (2024-02-28 19:21:48)

In reply to: Helps to have appointed 3 justices, I'm guessing.  posted by BigBadBrewer

This user did not provide content for this post

How can it be anything other than 9-0? *
by IAND75  (2024-02-28 20:37:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I hope it is.
by manofdillon  (2024-02-28 22:26:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And think it might be. But over the last 3 terms, the court has really divided into 3 groups of 3. You have the liberals, the institutionalist conservatives (Roberts, Kavanaugh, Barrett), and the 3 consequences be damned conservatives (Gorsuch, Alito, Thomas). Of course these aren’t hard and fast groupings (see Gorsuch in Bostock), but they’ve tended to stick together. I don’t think anyone in the first 2 groups will rule in Trump’s favor. I hope the third group comes along as well, and if I had to bet on it I’d say they will, but we’ll see.

Timing is the issue. Accept it in December or accept the
by BigBadBrewer  (2024-02-28 21:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

current decision. Hearing in late April, decision by end of June? We know the Court can accelerate things -- Bush v Gore took almost no time.

The court hasn't exactly been earning our trust lately with unreported, excessive gifts and lack of recusals.

Hasn't the Trump political experience been a complete subversion of norms and expectations?

If Thomas is a lone dissenter he will lose all crediblity *
by airborneirish  (2024-02-28 21:06:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I’m worried Alito might join him
by manofdillon  (2024-02-28 22:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I’d bet on 9-0 or 7-2.