My issue was with the word "honesty"
by sprack (2024-02-28 17:02:57)
Edited on 2024-02-28 17:05:54

In reply to: If you listen to his speeches, you'll see he generally has  posted by krudler

I know what his appeal is. He's a populist. A tale as old as politics.

Others have opined on that. He's not an honest man.
by krudler  (2024-02-28 17:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But he can appear more honest because he's not constantly regurgitating beltway focus-group political word salad. Most politicians aren't. I'll save you the calories and time and already note that you'll respond with something about how he's in a category by himself as it relates to lack of honesty.

An anecdotal confirmation of your point
by mocopdx  (2024-02-28 18:06:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

One of my only MAGA friends has told me that he realizes Trump says a bunch of dumb shit, but that he's not part of the ruling class that has alienated him and many others. He's not "one of them". He doesn't go as far as calling it the deep state, but I know that's what he means. He has said multiple times that he would've voted for Bernie Sanders over an establishment Republican for the same reasons.

These people don't care as much about policy as they do about sticking it to The Man. How a billionaire, NYC socialite, prep school and Ivy League educated man, who has spent decades rubbing elbows with the elite and powerful of America, is their idea of an iconoclast man-of-the-people... is beyond me. That does speak to some of his only real talents in life- he's a talented showman and con artist.

That pretty much nails the problem
by sprack  (2024-02-28 18:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It reminds me of what I kept hearing during the 2016 campaign “he’ll shake things up”. And do what, exactly?

it seems to be growing on the right and left
by ravenium  (2024-02-28 23:40:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Mostly the right, mind you, but in a left leaning part of the country I hear about the same borderline horseshoe populism.