Donald Trump is broke
by vermin05 (2024-02-28 12:15:53)

His lawyers only plan to put up 100 million bond instead of the 454 million required. That opens him up to asset seizure and liquidation by the state of New York. No way would he be putting his properties at risk if he had any other way to fund this.

Is this really how things should work?
by 3AONEILL08  (2024-02-28 17:31:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

First, a disclaimer: I hope Trump loses the lawsuit and has to pay.

But while a case like this is under appeal, is it normal to require the defendant to put up a cash bond for >100% of the value of the judgment? Forcing someone to sell properties while the case has still not been finally decided seems unfair because it can't be reversed if they win the appeal.

Yes, he lost. Appeal is his choice.
by OrangeJubilee  (2024-02-28 19:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It makes no sense to assume appeal would win. Otherwise why not just have Supreme Court try every case.

In my experience with other kinds of suits, most
by 3AONEILL08  (2024-02-28 19:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

judgments are stayed pending appeal when not doing so would cause irreversible harm. Until the appeals process is finished, the party hasn't exhausted their due process rights.

I think on monetary judgments the excption is not to
by wpkirish  (2024-02-29 09:56:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

require a bond to stay the proceedings.

Morally, even. *
by arasera  (2024-02-28 13:17:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I saw a reporter(I think NYT) who has been covering Trump’s
by IAND75  (2024-02-28 12:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

finances for years say that he thought he had about $40 million in liquid assets. I think this was from studying his tax returns. I can’t find the link. It was a week or two ago.

In his fraud trial it was determined that he had claimed about $300 million in liquid assets from a partnership where he holds a 1/3 interest. Any withdrawals would require the approval of the other partners. It is clearly not liquid.

No one in the public domain has an accurate handle on his finances. He is not broke, but there are strong indications that he doesn’t have ready access to as much money as he implies. And I’m not clear on whether the strict oversight required under his fraud trial terms are already in effect. I presume he does not have the freedom to borrow against or sell his Trump Organization assets at will.

No access to cash=broke
by vermin05  (2024-02-28 12:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Yes he has other assets, but he’s by definition broke. Hard to run a campaign broke.

He’s illiquid, not broke.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-28 13:11:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Illiquid means that he may have a difficult time raising cash, forcing him into a fire sale.

asset rich, cash poor
by jt  (2024-02-28 13:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

happens all the time.

Farming *
by IAND75  (2024-02-28 13:54:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I was just going to chime in with the same. *
by Jeash  (2024-02-28 16:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Start-up founder or Elon Musk. *
by EricCartman  (2024-02-28 14:03:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But there's his piggy bank,the Republican National Committee *
by sprack  (2024-02-28 12:35:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Every dollar used for this purpose subtracts a dollar
by ufl  (2024-02-28 13:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

from use in campaigns. Sounds good to me.

I would start by seizing Trump Tower
by sprack  (2024-02-28 12:21:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And I hope next is the Trump hotel in Chicago so they can get his name off the building and stop spoiling the view.

The golf courses would inflict greater pain
by SixShutouts66  (2024-02-28 12:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Especially if he has to phine in for a starting time on the public course.

There have been rumors for years that
by irishlaw2010  (2024-02-28 13:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

both the Westchester and Hudson Valley courses would be sold to a different private operator as the Trump name was such a drag on membership signups.

Amen *
by Charlie Hough  (2024-02-28 12:33:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply