I am no military strategist
by ACross (2024-02-27 18:12:31)
Edited on 2024-02-27 21:14:08

In reply to: Looking at what happened, how would an incremental  posted by AquinasDomer

I am just talking about getting interpreters (and other people to whom we owed a duty of loyalty due to their assistance to America) to get the hell out of dodge rather than abandoning them as they clung to landing gear.

Thanks for the clarification.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-02-27 19:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Its an understandable criticism. Personally, I'm not sure there was a graceful exit to be made. But we could have certainly made much more of a concerted post-exit effort to get our Afghan allies to safety and situated here in the US. Still legislation pending to make that a reality, as I understand it. Bipartisan efforts in both chambers are underway to get it done. But nothing is getting through Congress these days, unfortunately.

I think they were needlessly slow
by AquinasDomer  (2024-02-27 18:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And overestimated the ability of the Afgans to hold out against the Taliban.

If Joe was planning on getting out, expediting people getting out rapidly should have been a priority.

But once the collapse started it seems like it was too late to go back and slow down the collapse.