I'm not sure if I'm qualified to opine on Obama
by ravenium (2024-02-27 14:14:09)

In reply to: I don't really find people's personal beliefs and what  posted by krudler

Being a white dude I don't know what it's like to be black and have a black man in the white house.

Is it "disturbing?" I'd say maybe more shallow - a single characteristic can make you feel more fondly towards someone but it has nothing to do with actual policy.

Abortion is at least a policy issue. I would say disturbing for two reasons:

- Because it is a focus on a singular issue to the exclusion of all other issues. That isn't great.
- To a lesser extent, I do not like religiously-based policies to enter a secular government.

I would think at least focusing on a single real policy
by krudler  (2024-02-27 14:50:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

issue is at least more informed and relevant than voting for someone because of immutable characteristics. These are all white people by the way. And none of the reasons were about making life better for blacks.

I think I'd agree, though it's a low bar
by ravenium  (2024-02-27 14:56:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'd say the same about a person who only voted for Bernie because of whatever free stuff he was peddling as I would about someone who thinks their religious beliefs should legislate abortion.

I think Gloria Steinem face planted with a similar shallow take "women only vote for bernie because they want to meet boys" in 2016. It's absolutely low grade uninformed voting, so yes, I do agree.

As a resident of the PNW, I get to see a lot of white people with luxury beliefs about minorities. I highly recommend watching "American Fiction" because it's generally a shot across the bow aimed right at them.

It’s a great movie *
by DBCooper  (2024-02-27 18:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Thank you, I'll add it to the list. *
by krudler  (2024-02-27 17:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply