A little different, I think, because of the threat.
by IrishJosh24 (2024-02-27 12:54:27)
Edited on 2024-02-27 12:55:33

In reply to: I don't really find people's personal beliefs and what  posted by krudler

Obama wasn't an insurrectionist, as one example. He didn't promise to encourage enemies to do whatever they want to NATO allies. He didn't threaten retribution against anyone and everyone who slighted him in any way.

If he had done some or all of those things, and then a voter said he was voting for Obama because he is black, I think the reaction might move from "incredibly silly" to "disturbing." When a voter is going to vote for a basically sane person, even if I happen to disagree with that person on various policy issues, almost no reason will be "disturbing." Randomly pulling the lever without a thought isn't "disturbing." The justifications might be stupid or even offensive, but the threat is small so it's hard to be too disturbed.

The case is a bit different here, though. One person willing to put aside everything Trump has done in his political career, all because Trump will appoint pro-life judges (as would literally any Republican president), is at least a bit concerning. It's certainly odd. That millions are willing to do so is disturbing.