the article refutes the headline
by DBCooper (2024-02-27 11:52:38)

In reply to: No we can’t. 80% are bogus claims and illegal clowns (link)  posted by airborneirish

Asylum has been granted in about 40% of the nearly 700,000 asylum cases that have been decided since 2000. Immigration judges in that time frame approved about 30% of the applications, or about 420,000 cases, filed by people in deportation proceedings after arriving at the border or after being apprehended within the U.S.

In fiscal year 2022, immigration judges decided 52,000 asylum cases; about 46% of people were granted asylum. The approval rate was closer to 39% for those who applied for asylum as a defense against deportation.

"I acknowledge that I misspoke. The number is closer to 30% or higher," Johnson told PolitiFact.

It’s important to note that just because people are not granted asylum does not mean they do not have a valid claim. Experts have previously told PolitiFact that cases can be denied because of procedural reasons, or because immigrants don’t have legal representation and aren’t able to effectively argue their case.

me: So its more like 40-50%. Certainly doesnt ruin your overall point Im sure. I think the worst part is that it takes 6 fucking years to process a claim. Thats nuts!