Once upon a time I did a fair amount of zoning / siting work
by wpkirish (2024-02-27 09:36:57)

In reply to: My earliest recollection of the term NIMBY is in  posted by Tex Francisco

where I grew up. Nothing better than a small town meeting where everyone wants to have their say about how Joe should use his property. One of my favorites was a client who had done a subdivision right off the interstate. He had zoned a few lots commercial and there was no interest so he hired me to get it rezoned for multi-family so he could buld dupkexes. All kinds of objections because "those people" (actual phrase that was used) would come live in them to move drugs up and down Illinois. The woman who was the loudest about keeping those poeple out of town came up to the Mayor after the meeting to ask if she could put the water and sewer tap fees on a payment plan for her house she wanted to build.

That plaes in comparison to the pleasure I had when I became the expert in getting sites approved for manufactured home communities. Nothing convinces people you are going to ruin their town like a manufactured home project.