a couple threads below, someone did say they were definitely
by ravenium (2024-02-27 01:00:54)

In reply to: Someone below posted that they'd potentially  posted by krudler

Voting for trump because of abortion alone. It was sort of disturbing, not because of the issue at play but the general lack of concern for any other issues.

I think my only quibble is with people who liked "policies" under trump. Most of this stuff is subject to the whims of an increasingly dysfunctional congress. Plus, most of the policies people cite would have happened under a much saner conventional gop candidate.

I can't really get past a guy who has quite transparently said what he'd do if reelected - it's quite frightening. Yet you have people equivocating with "well he did frame me for armed robbery, but I'm aching for that tax cut!"

It’s ironic
by goirish89  (2024-02-27 21:14:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Considering how many abortions he’s paid for

I don't really find people's personal beliefs and what
by krudler  (2024-02-27 12:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

they prioritize as the most important issue when voting to be "disturbing" (well, within reason I suppose). Each of us is extremely different. I know people who knew next to nothing about Obama's policies but voted for him because he is black. Is that disturbing to you given they had a general lack of concern for any other issues? I found it incredibly silly, but not disturbing.

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to opine on Obama
by ravenium  (2024-02-27 14:14:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Being a white dude I don't know what it's like to be black and have a black man in the white house.

Is it "disturbing?" I'd say maybe more shallow - a single characteristic can make you feel more fondly towards someone but it has nothing to do with actual policy.

Abortion is at least a policy issue. I would say disturbing for two reasons:

- Because it is a focus on a singular issue to the exclusion of all other issues. That isn't great.
- To a lesser extent, I do not like religiously-based policies to enter a secular government.

I would think at least focusing on a single real policy
by krudler  (2024-02-27 14:50:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

issue is at least more informed and relevant than voting for someone because of immutable characteristics. These are all white people by the way. And none of the reasons were about making life better for blacks.

I think I'd agree, though it's a low bar
by ravenium  (2024-02-27 14:56:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'd say the same about a person who only voted for Bernie because of whatever free stuff he was peddling as I would about someone who thinks their religious beliefs should legislate abortion.

I think Gloria Steinem face planted with a similar shallow take "women only vote for bernie because they want to meet boys" in 2016. It's absolutely low grade uninformed voting, so yes, I do agree.

As a resident of the PNW, I get to see a lot of white people with luxury beliefs about minorities. I highly recommend watching "American Fiction" because it's generally a shot across the bow aimed right at them.

It’s a great movie *
by DBCooper  (2024-02-27 18:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Thank you, I'll add it to the list. *
by krudler  (2024-02-27 17:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A little different, I think, because of the threat.
by IrishJosh24  (2024-02-27 12:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Obama wasn't an insurrectionist, as one example. He didn't promise to encourage enemies to do whatever they want to NATO allies. He didn't threaten retribution against anyone and everyone who slighted him in any way.

If he had done some or all of those things, and then a voter said he was voting for Obama because he is black, I think the reaction might move from "incredibly silly" to "disturbing." When a voter is going to vote for a basically sane person, even if I happen to disagree with that person on various policy issues, almost no reason will be "disturbing." Randomly pulling the lever without a thought isn't "disturbing." The justifications might be stupid or even offensive, but the threat is small so it's hard to be too disturbed.

The case is a bit different here, though. One person willing to put aside everything Trump has done in his political career, all because Trump will appoint pro-life judges (as would literally any Republican president), is at least a bit concerning. It's certainly odd. That millions are willing to do so is disturbing.