Perhaps if people would stop reacting to it in the way
by krudler (2024-02-26 18:53:34)
Edited on 2024-02-26 18:57:00

In reply to: Republicans think it's an insult for some reason  posted by sprack

you and others due and giving them their desired reactions they'd stop using it. It's dumb and should be ignored at most. However, it seems to illicit a reaction every time it's done, thus potentially supporting the theory that it's taken as an insult by the Democrats in the Democratic party.

It is just bad usage
by ACross  (2024-02-27 14:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Democrat is a noun.

I don't react to it normally
by sprack  (2024-02-26 20:57:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'm reacting to the use of it on this board because it's stupid and juvenile.

it didn't/doesn't bother me
by jt  (2024-02-26 19:01:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I had just noticed and was asking about it.

shocking of course that it's basically immature name calling.

To be clear, my post wasn't directed towards you. But there
by krudler  (2024-02-26 19:02:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

are several posters back here who will take the bait every time. I don't agree with baiting them but no one is forcing them to respond.

What am I missing with it?
by mocopdx  (2024-02-26 19:03:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I don’t even get how it’s supposed to be insulting. Just because it’s not the correct word?

I have no idea. I don't use it. But it seems to rile up
by krudler  (2024-02-26 19:13:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

people for some reason, which for some people is the intended outcome. I don't get it either.

it's similar to when idiots write "rethuglicans"
by ravenium  (2024-02-26 23:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It's a dumb insult "hur hur you're not democratic".

We're better than this type of language here. "You reacted to it" is sort of a thin excuse.

I don't get it either
by El Kabong  (2024-02-27 11:23:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

In my mind, if you're a member of the Democratic party, you're a Democrat.

I've read that word in regular media for years.

Now it's an insult? It's dumb if it is, but I don't see it.

It's possible I am not articulating well, but
by ravenium  (2024-02-27 13:43:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If I didn't know you better, I'd worry you were being a touch willfully obtuse here. (I say this playfully!)

Ok, so to the basics:

- Democrats combine to form the Democratic Party, or the "Dems"

- Republicans combine to form the Republican Party, or the "GOP" (which is about whimsy folksy as one gets these days, but I digress)

I wouldn't say "Republic Party" any more than "Democrat Party". It's not the name, right?

Yet some of the pettier elements in MAGA have seen fit to use the name "Democrat Party" because in their minds it's a way of insulting them by suggesting they are not "democratic" or something. It's juvenile and stupid.

I think it's perfectly fine to name your party whatever you want. I sort of roll my eyes at the "Freedom Caucus" but I'm not going to make nicknames for them. I don't even indulge in "Gym Jordan", as much as he deserves it.

OK, now I see it
by El Kabong  (2024-02-27 15:41:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I agree using the phrase "Democrat Party" makes no sense, and if it's supposed to be an insult, it's an incredibly dumb one.

Would’ve have thought wrote Ohio instead of Ohio State
by Inigomontoya  (2024-02-26 19:19:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

correction The Democratic Party.

aOSU? *
by krudler  (2024-02-26 19:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply