Apparently you're "Genocide Joe" if you're not left enough,
by krudler (2024-02-26 14:35:52)

In reply to: Where is the pro-choice, pro-gun third party candidate?  posted by ndgenius

particularly as it relates to destroying the state of Israel. The abortion debate is so polarized that there isn't room in the Republican party if you're pro-choice and there isn't room in the Democratic party if you're pro-life.

Exactly, no flexibility in anything...you're either on board
by ndgenius  (2024-02-26 15:14:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

with the entire right or left wing platform or we don't want anything to do with you and by the way you're stupid and don't know anything.

I don't want my life to be defined by a political party but thanks to the news stations, lots of people have chosen that path.

The number of people who choose to decorate the outside of their home with Republican paraphernalia is just staggering to me. Whether it's "Trump 2024", "My Governor is an Idiot" or the utterly appalling "Fuck Joe Biden" I just don't understand why people are so hung up on the election.

Diehard party identification is a terrible problem
by sprack  (2024-02-26 17:13:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A whole lot of self-described independents aren't really independent. I do think "choose your news" television is a large part of the problem, maybe the biggest cause. And social media has made it even worse.

In better days when television news was largely down the middle reporting, you could have a Democratic landslide and then only 8 years later a Republican landslide, with a very close election in between. That's a good thing, in my opinion. Today that would be downright impossible.

Huh?
by Kali4niaND  (2024-02-26 15:08:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Are there any Democrats in elected office espousing those views?

Which views?
by krudler  (2024-02-26 15:38:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Are there Democrats in office espousing the view that there's no room in their party for pro-lifers? Yes. And that's absolutely where the party is today.

Are there Democrats in office espousing the view that Joe is enabling "genocide" and that Israel shouldn't exist? Yes. They're very upfront about the genocide part, not sure why this is even up for debate. Of course they use their euphemisms about Israel that I'm sure will be defended.

You're talking about "The Squad"
by sprack  (2024-02-26 17:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They're the lunatic fringe of the Democratic Party. But they're not in control of the party, unlike the Republican Party, where the lunatic fringe is in control of the House of Representatives and many other places as well.

Was that the question? He asked me if there were any
by krudler  (2024-02-26 18:49:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

elected officials espousing those policies or beliefs. Many in his administration, although not elected, feel the same way as the squad. And if you look at polling in the Democratic party it does align with a lot of the youth in the party. I answered his question directly. There are few, if any, elected Democrats who could be considered pro-life. Next question.

Who in the administration feels that way?
by sprack  (2024-02-26 21:08:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I sure can't see any in the Cabinet. Do you have some names?

The youth of the Democratic Party has been farther left than the party at large since time immemorial, then they get older and get out of school and find jobs.

I'm not defending the lack of pro-life elected Democrats at all. Primarily from a moral standpoint but also from a political standpoint. For the first ten years after the Roe v Wade decision there was no litmus test in either party. You even had a Republican first lady (Betty Ford) who was in favor of it publicly, and then the Carter administration stopping federal funding of abortions. In fact abortion wasn't even an issue in either the '72 or '76 elections. You had pro-life Democrats in Congress with names like Dick Gephardt and Al Gore. There was one in the Senate named Joe Biden.

In the 80's, unfortunately, and American politics ended up more and more polarized to the point of that no one with an opinion that deviates from that particular party line has a hope of getting elected and it crowds out everything else. It's been absolute poison.

There are plenty of substantiated articles out there
by krudler  (2024-02-27 14:42:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

about staffers writing letters, staging/planning walkouts, etc. due to Biden's position on the war.

I agree on your points about the abortion debate. One of my hopes with the overturning of RvW and moving it back to the states is that it would open up the possibility of more nuanced positions on the issue, as the issue will get more attention at the state level and laws can be passed that impact the issue more locally than just a monolithic policy at the federal level. Who knows if it will happen or not.

Of all of the things that have gone wrong with our political
by wearendhockey  (2024-02-26 17:45:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

discourse over the last 30-35 years, the one that says the Democratic party has moved as far to the left as the Republican party has to the right is the one that confounds me the most.

As you note, the far left nutbars of the Democratic party has no control over it. They barely move the needle. But the other party cannot say that. Yet to hear many talk, that reality is light years from what they believe. Far left fringe politicians like Bernie Sanders and Ilhan Omar are not running the Democratic party. A literal insurrectionist authoritarian with many parallels to fascists from the early 20th century is the standard bearer for the Republican party.

The never-Trump normal conservatives out there need to make a clean break from the Republican party. A full, clean break and start over. Think of it as the 21st century version of the Whigs.

It's fear-mongering
by sprack  (2024-02-26 18:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And the Whig analogy is apt. The lunatic fringe of that party became the Know-Nothings. The normal former Whigs joined the new Republican Party.

The Trump GOP has morphed into Know-Nothings.