Brown Among a Number of Recent Decommits
by dillon77 (2017-07-16 06:59:04)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Raoul posted that some half-dozen recent D1 decommits, all from 2018.
Besides Brown, the highest-level appears to be Ariel Scott, a shooting guard from Illinois who plays for the Lady GymRats out of Indianapolis, same club as Jackie Young and ridiculously hot 2020 prospect, Sydney Parrish.

Being that it's Sunday morning and my coffee is still brewing, this one is a bit understand given the relative youth of all concerned, along with the intense pressures of overall recruiting, the intense July evaluations periods, etc. However, better early in the process than later.

Speaking of Parrish, she seems to get an offer a day, most recently from Marquette and Kentucky (who seem to be offering any one, like their in-state rival, Louisville). Of course, the highest-level teams are probably (in our case), hopefully starting and continuing a long-term relationship.

Tired of decommits
by Domer65  (2017-07-16 17:39:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she has decommitted, take back the offer and give it to Dara, if she even wants it. I'd rather have a very good player who is dedicated to ND than a potentially great player who is fickle - just my opinion. I'd rather have a 4 year student than a 3 year player training for the WNBA.
Winning the NC is a worthy goal but it isn't the be all, end all.

I agree with you
by Murcer68  (2017-07-16 19:21:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rather have women on the team who love the school and want to be here, as opposed to maybe more talented people who every year you have to wonder if they will be transferring to another school or leaving to go to the WNBA.

Is there a chance Brown
by maverick  (2017-07-16 17:34:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could still wind up at Notre Dame or has that ship completely sailed?

One man's coffee, is another's run.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-16 08:37:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There could not have been worse timing for my vignette on Notre Dame's recruiting. With this de-commit, Ms Ivey and co. have put together two consecutive comme ci, comme ça recruiting years, and with the transfers,…well, we need some Christyn Williams' and Olivia Nelson-Ododa's to stay in the hunt. It seems the harder they work, the more misfortune falls.

The silver lining is there is plenty of room for some top notch recruits.

Wait, that's just immediate remorse over losing Jenna Brown. We have Jessica Sheppard coming next year. We are not in bad shape. I just hated to lose Jenna. How many 16 year old girls don't tweet?

Just Hope in The Silver Linings Playbook...
by dillon77  (2017-07-16 11:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..that Niele and Muffet have for the rest of '18.

I'll be very interested in what direction the coaching staff goes with the rest of '18 and, then, beyond into '19.

As you've pointed out and I wrote about in the prior thread, there are interesting options to take from what's-up-on-the-point and other guard options and posts/forwards, from Christyn Williams and "another guard in '18 or '19" to O N-O and Queen Egbo.

Given that MM bases her recruiting years on what she needs for the overall team make-up, I look at recruiting hauls more over the course of a few years, rather than one. After all, the collective haul at the end of the day is more important than adding up the ratings of the individual parts.

Plus, who is to say Mikayla Vaughn and/or Danielle Patterson don't blossom well into the Irish offense. And that Abby Prohaska isn't the "glue player" that helps strengthen the ties that bind?

And since we're probably not going to see Brianna in 17-18, think how strong the pairing of Jessica Shephard and Bri will be in 18-19, augmented by a year of experience for Mik and Danielle P. And whomever comes in the rest of '19 and joins Anaya in '19. Stay tuned.

Another option is to add a grad transfer at PG
by MPG  (2017-07-16 17:33:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for 2018-19, presuming that the LiLi experiment goes well. I wouldn't want to see Marina spending her senior season as the primary ball-handler when she should be having a great year scoring and defending from the wing. I could see Katlyn Gilbert as the back-up to the transfer.

The apparent defection of Jenna Brown was disappointing because when she committed there was still the possibility of Ali Patberg having three more years. I thought that Jenna and Anaya could have played together as a "do it all" pair of guards. I really liked Jenna as a match with ND. I hope that she doesn't commit to an ACC school or to Stanford with that 2017 Georgian that I really liked, Maya Dodson.

Can anyone recall another decommit from ND WBB? I presume there have been some from silent commits that were never publicized

All sage counsel
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-16 12:09:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your response to Irishdds' concern about next year's PG was pretty thorough. I wrote something quickly about the same time and when I saw yours, I just meekly deleted my post.

At this point I feel the best and most possible script would be to succeed with Christyn Williams. Not only is she a great player, but I believe she would happily and competently help Marina out as point guard in 2018-19. In her heart she knows she is a shooter, so would have no problems with Anaya Peoples coming in. But, as you say, there is so much we don't know about our incoming players.

Did Jenna's knee injury come before or after her
by sixtythreer  (2017-07-16 10:33:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

commitment to ND?

Injured Knee Summer of 16; Committed January '17 *
by dillon77  (2017-07-16 10:50:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, Muffet gave Jenna a hand up when Jenna was hurt. *
by sixtythreer  (2017-07-16 12:20:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was a 5* recruit even then
by SixShutouts66  (2017-07-16 14:53:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was a highly regarded player who suffered a knee injury that was likely to recover. We weren't magnanimous in offering a scholarship. It was a basketball decision based on the belief she would regain her level of play that she had prior to surgery.

She was a five star before the injury. And of course it was
by sixtythreer  (2017-07-16 19:59:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a "basketball decision." Was her full recovery guaranteed? Muffet took a calculated risk. Jenna took a sure thing - a four year scholarship to ND, even if she never played a minute of BB at ND.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.