Jenna Brown
by Dallas Dave (click here to email the poster) (2017-07-14 08:50:15)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Looking at ESPN Top 60 this morning it appears Jenna Brown has decommitted. Anybody know anything?

Prospects Nation reported she's no longer a ND verbal.
by ndbutch  (2017-07-15 17:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's reopened the recruiting process.

I suspect the high profile verbal from a PG in the next class had an impact or provided a reason.

Getting to be like football. *
by Tim Kelley  (2017-07-15 19:59:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is official. Jenna Decommits
by RISteve  (2017-07-15 17:29:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Following up after Butch

Per Keil Moore:

"#BREAKING - 5* PG Jenna Brown has decided to reopen her recruiting process. Is no longer committed to Notre Dame. "

Link below:

Prospects Nation follows suit.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-15 12:31:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hope is fading. It doesn’t take much imagination to concoct a storied scenario:

Jenna Brown is smart, very smart, personable, a leader, and a self-proclaimed point guard. She loves the responsibility of running her team. When Notre Dame recently received a verbal from Anaya Peoples, a point guard from the high school class of 2019, Jenna may or may not have been told by Coach McGraw that ND was pursuing Peoples. In either case the commitment probably gave her pause. Like Lindsay, and Skylar before her, point guards love to work with their team for four years. Jenna had that chance, she thought. Now, she may have questioned how much confidence the Notre Dame coaching staff had in her, assurances or not.

Could it be coincidence that only a couple of weeks after the Peoples verbal, and a couple of days after all parties met in Indianapolis, HoopGurlz, and now Prospects Nation, changed their status on Miss Brown?

This is just thoughtful speculation, but, hey, that’s what we do here, isn’t it? From what little I know of Jenna Brown, I think she would make a terrific point guard.

Note: Blue Star hasn't changed her status yet.

Jenna
by badelman  (2017-07-16 23:18:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

New to the board my thoughts on this. While it sucks to lose a great recruit like Jenna, if the reason for her decommitting was because of the high profile recruit (Anaya) coming the following year does that show us just how highly regarded Ms. Peoples is? I've heard she may be the best recruit we've had since Skylar.

Luckily MM and Coach Ivey have some time to piece together the puzzle for 2018. Hoping to see Chrstyn Williams and ONO commit to ND, would love to see another Mabrey join suit as well.

Welcome!
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-17 08:38:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not a pillar on this board by any means, but I greet you with open arms. Post early and often. I hope you are right. Her video from the Indianapolis EYBL looks promising. We don't know how People's recruitment was presented to Jenna, who was pretty high profile herself. We do know there's only 5 on the floor at any one time. As someone mentioned, has Notre Dame women's basketball ever had a de-commitment? Coach McGraw likes to keep the roster lean. Here's hoping Anaya's play, smarts, commitment and personality will surpass all others.

Thank you!
by badelman  (2017-07-17 12:20:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope I am right too on the Brown/Peoples thing. I could see Jenna seeing herself in the Patberg role with Gilbert and Peoples here in 2019. The situations are somewhat similar. I wouldn't blame Jenna if that's what she saw her role as at ND once Anaya was here. I saw the list of other schools she is looking at on ESPN: Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Stanford - pretty much we are going to see her either in the regular season or post season. I wish her luck!

Another avenue of thought (wishful thinking) - maybe Jenna has some information on where C. Williams is leaning and that school is ND.

Reasonable. I had the same thoughts relative to Peoples. *
by Wolfetone  (2017-07-15 14:17:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So who is PG in 18-19. ?? *
by irishdds  (2017-07-15 16:31:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As things stand now probably Marina.... *
by Wolfetone  (2017-07-16 10:24:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Few Saturday p.m. thoughts
by dillon77  (2017-07-15 17:17:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given the thoughts summarized by Baba -- that Anaya Peoples is going to grab this position by the shoulders in 19-20, my first thoughts:

A) Look for a 2018 PG that has the confidence to start as a frosh in 18-19 and then feel comfortable with the Peoples competition in 19-20 and beyond.

Two top 2018 PGs -- besides Brown -- are still uncommitted: Honesty Scott-Grayson and Jordan Nixon.
Both have connections to the Irish: Scott-Grayson spent a year at Paul VI with Mikayla Vaughn; and, Jordan Nixon played with Danielle Peterson in HS in Queens last year. Don't know how they'd feel about the Peoples spectre.
The other way to go here is find a PG who will accept the circumstances and "buy" into ND for everything....

Another option is the graduate transfer one year, but finding the right player and fit is pretty arbitrary. We'll see how well Lili Thompson does this year. Even if one was to find a PG in that manner, it will continue to put pressure on "the back-ups."

B) A number of talent evaluators think Christyn Williams and/or Katlyn Gilbert can play lead if need be. If Williams comes to ND, see if Christyn and/or Katlyn can share it for a year until Peoples arrives. Plan B/C on this front is a guard called Dara Mabrey.

C) Wait for Peoples. Have the ball-handling duties shared among Marina (half court) and Arike (in unsettled situations). For those my age, not everyone was hung up on the PG vs. off-guard category. And in the Princeton-led offense, the most important position may be the passing forward (Achonwa/Westbeld). Plus, Marina is probably going to be spelling Lili this season anyways and knows the offense inside-out.

D) Some combination of B and C -- Have Marina/one of the combo-guards of 18 share duties.

I'll bet a whole lot of the next July evaluation session will go into some finding a 2018 option, while discussing various options if the right player and fit is not found. Along those lines, it will be good to get said PG and Williams up here for a visit in early September/fall (as she has indicated she'd like to do in printed reports)....not as many players out and about.

Stay tuned.

IMHO
by irishdds  (2017-07-15 22:07:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not having a PG in this class will be tough to overcome in 18-19.

IMHO
by irishdds  (2017-07-15 22:06:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not having a PG in this class will be tough to overcome in 18-19.

A few tidbits from Raoul...
by RISteve  (2017-07-14 21:23:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like Raoul is now trying to uncover this mystery:

"Note that one quirk of espnW’s site is that when a player decommits, it’ll still say “Verbal” on her page but the school logo will be gone."

"WBB: Jenna Brown (GA-2018) no longer listed as a Notre Dame commit by espnW (which ranks her #11); decommitted?"

Thx - explanation is helpful, but certainly not encouraging
by dillon77  (2017-07-15 07:58:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....if that procedural quirk is what is happening here.

Given that MPG (and others) don't think Jenna Brown tweets, it could take a day or two to uncover what going on. Here's to hoping someone hit the wrong keystroke and that all is well and good.

Hopefully, not jinxing ourselves, but here's a paragraph from ESPN on other schools Jenna had been considering before ND.

"Brown, who carries a 3.9 GPA, made unofficial visits to Stanford, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Princeton. She also considered Virginia, Vanderbilt, Penn State and Wake Forest. Jenna's sister, Taylor Brown, is a senior guard at Princeton. Jenna's great-uncle is legendary coach Larry Brown."

Cross fingers about that errant keystroke....and/or start wondering about plan(s) b or c.

Nothing on twitter yet
by Orangutan  (2017-07-14 13:44:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If there's something there would expect in to break in the next couple of days.

Dan Olson of Hoopgurlz did a writeup when she committed, so there is a connection there. I doubt he replies but I sent a message to Olson on twitter.

EDIT: Her status on Hoopgurlz is "Verbal" not "Undeclared" like most uncommitted recruits. Odd.

Still Listed as ND Commit on Prospects Nation
by dillon77  (2017-07-14 11:54:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but you're right about Hoopgurlz...not only removed on the main list, but ND logo gone on her personal page.

There are so many Jenna Browns on twitter that I'm "O" fer 15 in trying to find hers.

Mabrey *
by NOBBYDOMER  (2017-07-14 12:15:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You Read My Mind -- :-)
by dillon77  (2017-07-14 14:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but the footage we all saw on Ms. Brown was most impressive.
Fingers crossed....

Christyn Williams? *
by NOBBYDOMER  (2017-07-15 08:35:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jenna Brown does not communicate on twitter.
by MPG  (2017-07-14 11:57:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe that I read this in the original SBT article announcing her commitment to ND. I hope that she stays with ND!

Jenna is no longer shown as an ND commit on the
by sixtythreer  (2017-07-15 09:10:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

front page of the Courtside Films Mixtape Library. Katlyn and Anaya are still there. Jenna, however, is still on page two of the library as an ND commit.

I don't know if that's significant. I am guessing she is still committed, but has been moved down as
more recent tapes have been posted. E.g., Jenna's tape was posted on 7-8-17. Katlyn's on 7-9;
Anaya's on 7-10. There are a bunch of more recent postings.

After watching her tape, I sure hope she's still committed.

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/page/show/1203619-mixtape-library

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.