I know many have been asking themselves,
by BabaGhanouj (2017-07-11 17:49:57)
Edited on 2017-07-11 21:46:47
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: USA Basketball U23 training camp invites...  posted by RISteve

“How can I get an invite to the USA Women’s National Team?”, or, perhaps, get an invitation for your daughter. Well, the best advice I can give you is to get highly rated by the scouting services, and be selected to play in the McDonald’s All American or the Jordan Classic game. Of the 40 invitees, only 9 did not play in one of those all star games (and that includes Azura Stevens who many feel should have).

However, all is not lost if McDonald’s and Jordan passed you by.

Tyra Buss was selected to try out and she failed to make HoopGurlz top 100 in 2014. Of course she did score 4,897 points in her H.S. career, an Illinois record, and be selected as the National High School Coaches Association Girls’ Basketball Player of the Year. (There's a record that will probably never be broken: Player of the Year but not in HoopGurlz top 100.)

Still, consider Tynice Martin. also not ranked in HoopGurlz top 100. Of course she was ranked 22nd by Full Court, 41st by All Star Girls Report and earned Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors in her first year at West Virginia.

Sigh…, still not feeling great about your chances? Well, there’s always Channon Fluker. If you have a name like Fluker, you may be lucky enough to be selected even though you've never made anyone’s top 100 nor have been recruited by a basketball power. Go to an off-the-beaten-path basketball school like CSun (California State University, Northridge—of course!), and excel both offensively (18 pts. per game) and defensively (12 rebounds per game), and just let the committee stare at your name for awhile.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.